Amiupdate "Not found on path" after fresh install

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
prowler

Amiupdate "Not found on path" after fresh install

Post by prowler »

I did a fresh install of AmigaOS4.1 FE the other day. When I ran Amiupdate, it came back with a large number of applications and things like locale files for languages I did not install with the error "Not found on path". As I mentioned before, this is a brand new install so I am not sure where it is pulling this information from. I did some searching and so checked ENVARC:AppPaths which only contains a file for AmiDVD as well as ENVARC:AppDir which does not have anything which refelects any of the entries with the "Not found on path" message. Any help on how to clean this list up (without using the 'ignore' option) would be appreciated.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Amiupdate "Not found on path" after fresh install

Post by tonyw »

The AmiUpdate (system) database is maintained by betatesters and developers and updated when a new version of something is released. The update information contains the "path" (full file name) of the target component, specifying where it should be, so that AmiUpdate knows both where to look for it and where to install it if it is missing or out of date.

So the "Not found on path" message merely means that it ain't there where it ortta be. Whether you want to let AU install it for you or (in the case of languages) leave it out, is up to you.

My systems invariably have numerous "not found on path" messages. I don't think there is any permanent way to prevent their recurrence.
cheers
tony
prowler

Post by prowler »

I never remember this being much of an issue in the past. I would assume that it would only try and update something which was installed (used) rather than making a guess that it should update something which was never used on the system before. If the later is the case, even though AmiUpdate does make doing automatic updates easier it is still an annoying feature nor the best customer experience.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

As this has been posted in "General AmigaOS", I assume you are talking about the public database.

The public database is maintained by the application authors, so any problems with the applications entry in that database should be reported to the applications author. When an application is added to (or updated in) the database, there is a facility to "Force" an update. This basically means that the applications entry will appear in the list of updates even if a previous version was not found on the host system. If this is not the correct procedure, then it should be, again, reported to the applications author.

I can, of course, administer the database for general duties, but I simply lack the time to verify each and every entry in the database for correctness and operation.

If you'd like to give me a list of the offending entries which you feel are wrongly forcing updates, then I can take a look when I have the time.

Simon
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

There are a number of components where, if the target file is missing, it assumes that it is not wanted and does not complain. But in general, the aim is to generate and maintain a standard installation for everyone. That means everyone should have the full language set, even if most are not used. The maintenance advantages of a standard installation far outweigh the disadvantages of a few MB more disk space.

If you want to reduce your language repertoire to the minimum, you will have to tolerate the complaints of the maintenance man who has been told to make everyone fully functional.
cheers
tony