Where do I find Documentation/kernel/bootloader.txt?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Where do I find Documentation/kernel/bootloader.txt?

Post by Hypex »

Spectre660 wrote:For the X5000 not worth the effort.
The Kernel and .dtb file can be stored on the micro SDcard.
For X5000 yes. For the X1000 it is another matter.
Guess that I am the only person using the newer kernels than have to be booted this way on the Sam460ex though. :D
:-)
Are they loaded in the usual way?
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Belxjander wrote:What is the latest for getting a dual-boot sam440 happening?
The 440, which is UBoot based, uses either SLB as standard, or Parthenope (ub2lb) as bootloader. SLB locates and creates a boot menu from one Kicklayout and supports Linux with an A1 config file stored on an Ext2/3 volume that also holds menu entries. Parthenope works similar but supports a more configurable GRUB like Linux config file.

Do you wish to dual boot only OS4 volumes or also Linux?
Is there any option for chainloading or providing modules for amigaboot or however uboot "boota" works to access filesystems using modules for bootstrapping?
There is in a way. From the Kicklayout you can add multiple entries and specify boot device to build up a custom list of boot entries. You can also set up soft links to different Kickstarts so that a kernel update will automatically update the kernel modules. With the Kicklayout pointing to those modules. I can dig up the info on this if you like.

But it sounds like you want greater control. You could write your own SLB or modify Parthenope to do this. Or indeed write your own Kickstart module to do it.

But what is it you need to achieve by this chain loading? Beyond being able to set up different systems to boot via menu.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Hypex wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:For the X5000 not worth the effort.
The Kernel and .dtb file can be stored on the micro SDcard.
For X5000 yes. For the X1000 it is another matter.
Well, the X1000 can have the kernel on the CF card, so I guess that's okay too? It can even be accessed from within AmigaOS (r/w).

Best regards,

Niels
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

nbache wrote:Well, the X1000 can have the kernel on the CF card, so I guess that's okay too? It can even be accessed from within AmigaOS (r/w).
It can even if that is external and not on the HD. But the main problem is installing a kernel in Linux and having it ready for next boot. Rather than manually fiddling with CFE on the command line which is needed now. Even for simple booting of a Linux CD. How useful would beta testing OS4 be if we needed to fiddle with CFE variables to point it to the latest kernel that only loaded from a slow external disk every time there was a kernel update? It would be really frustrating! And take time away from actual testing. But this is how things are with Linux now. :-D

Work is already put into the Linux kernel. It would be good to make this easier for the maintainer. And also easy for the user to simply install it in the first place.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Hypex wrote:
Belxjander wrote:What is the latest for getting a dual-boot sam440 happening?
The 440, which is UBoot based, uses either SLB as standard, or Parthenope (ub2lb) as bootloader. SLB locates and creates a boot menu from one Kicklayout and supports Linux with an A1 config file stored on an Ext2/3 volume that also holds menu entries. Parthenope works similar but supports a more configurable GRUB like Linux config file.

Do you wish to dual boot only OS4 volumes or also Linux?
Is there any option for chainloading or providing modules for amigaboot or however uboot "boota" works to access filesystems using modules for bootstrapping?
There is in a way. From the Kicklayout you can add multiple entries and specify boot device to build up a custom list of boot entries. You can also set up soft links to different Kickstarts so that a kernel update will automatically update the kernel modules. With the Kicklayout pointing to those modules. I can dig up the info on this if you like.

But it sounds like you want greater control. You could write your own SLB or modify Parthenope to do this. Or indeed write your own Kickstart module to do it.

But what is it you need to achieve by this chain loading? Beyond being able to set up different systems to boot via menu.
OK, was thinking of trying to workaround a problem that is ignorable in the end.

I'm needing to try and bootstrap multiple OS ( AOS4+AROS+Linux ) and then get picky as to how I handle bootstrapping and kernel launching for the way I want to setup partition and volume handling in each.

so parthenope might work, or I might need my own equivalent to SLB... ahh well.

I'll just dig into what I have here and see what I can come up with.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Sounds like Parthenope would be the one for the job. It knows AROS. You can create different Kickstart configs in the Kicklayout for OS4 booting. I have three here per OS4 volume. But you can also set up multiple configs for one volume. The only thing is the menu is in a flat model, from top to bottom, with all boot entries in one list.