BUG: Window scrollbar makes list browsing behaving wrong

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific

BUG: Window scrollbar makes list browsing behaving wrong

Postby Raziel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 pm

When i scroll an entry list in a window and the vertical scrollbar kicks in, i lose focus on the file names.

1) Open any directory with many files inside in a window (there must be at least as many as to make the right/vertical scrollbar appear).
2) PD-Menu Window/View by/Name
3) Make sure that you have at least one filename with a very long name in your drawer, one that goes over the right border of the window and makes the bottom scrollbar available. It should also be long enough to make a good part of the filename cut from the normal window size, or just reduce your window measurements.
4) Click on the first file name and either press cursor down or use the mouse wheel to scroll down.
5) Everything is fine, the file names get activated and i'm happy
5) Once you come to the end of the window and the vertical scrollbar kicks in, the following happens (either with mouse wheel or cursor)

When the cursor goes to the next line the whole entry list is moved to the right (to where the longest filename ends (but you can't see that because the filename might come a lot later) and it skips back to the left (the beginning of all other filenames) on the next line that is displayed and so on.

I don't really know what the idea behind such behaviour is, but it makes scrolling the list without the scroll bar pretty much unusable.
I also see two problems.
1) The very long filename might come a lot later in the list which makes the display from a user pov look just buggy
2) The fact that the list is moved to the right makes all shorter filenames pretty much vanish or at least very hard to see)

I'm considering this as a bug, probably because of the scrollbar drawing interferes with the list display(?)
Maybe not the vertical but the horizontal scrollbar?
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
Raziel

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

Re: BUG: Window scrollbar makes list browsing behaving wrong

Postby tonyw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 am

I can confirm that the display pans back and forth on alternate lines of text, and I fully agree with your description.

Well done for describing it so well. I will raise a BZ on the subject.

BZ #10036 raised.
cheers
tony
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: BUG: Window scrollbar makes list browsing behaving wrong

Postby Raziel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 pm

:-)

Thank you for picking them up to radpidly
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
Raziel

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

Return to General AmigaOS