Storage Devices (Icon bug)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Re: Storage Devices (Icon bug)

Post by samo79 »

@Devs

Thanks to look at it guys :-)

I always use Workbench to open my devices, if that help as info please try also with other devices (USB sticks)
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I have "only" 3 USB sticks and I can remove them and the icon disappear...
I guess we should wait Update3 to be released. If you still have this problem, write on this thread again.
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Ok let's try this simple method:

1 - Put a txt file (maybe with some text) into your USB stick
2 - Reset your Amiga (maybe not necessary but to be sure that all is clean)
3 - Insert your stick on your USB port
4 - Open the stick directory and then open the txt file with MultiView or NotePad (i try with MultiView)
5 - Now remove your stick phisically from your computer and see if icon will be correctly disappear from the desktop

Here if i have that text opened by another instance the icon remain on desktop, but if i just insert/removed my pen without opening the files inside i don't have any problem, icon will be show/disappear correctly.

Please just test as is, if it's ok for you, then i will test it later when Update 3 will be released :-)
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

If you've got files open from a device, it's always kept the icon on the desktop, even if you're removed the device hasn't it?
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

samo79 wrote:5 - Now remove your stick phisically from your computer and see if icon will be correctly disappear from the desktop
Well, wait... you are removing the stick while there is still a file open on it (i.e. notepad still has a lock on a file on the device). Yes, in that case it will stick around and not go away since the volume cannot be unmounted. Closing the file will probably do nothing either because the original volume isn't there anymore.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Closing the file will probably do nothing either because the original volume isn't there anymore.
Yup! That's the way it works.

(Now just change the bug report to a feature note and I'm happy) :D
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

IMO, there's nothing to change.
If you still have an opened file, then the icon stays to warn you that you have an opened file that you won't be able to save.

I think it's a feature, not a bug ;-)
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Elwood wrote:IMO, there's nothing to change.
If you still have an opened file, then the icon stays to warn you that you have an opened file that you won't be able to save.

I think it's a feature, not a bug ;-)
This is a good thing but something you need to experience once to know and then it's no issue. However would a requester be a good idea in case you remove the stick without closing whatever file you have open? A warning that tells you to not remove the stick while opening a file. Maybe the icon could change in case you remove the stick to make it even more clear, in the way that the icon changes in Amiupdate when updates are available?

I don't like it all those requesters all the time (Windows) and I know that most people don't read them anyway so I don't even know if it's a good idea or not?

Is there a way to unmount the device and remove the icon if this happens without a reboot? Does it help to insert the stick again, close for example notepad and then remove it?
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Guys sorry I have to correct myself, today i make some more test and i note that sometimes device icon remain on desktop also if i didn't leave opened any file, (so just removing manually the device) i don't understand exactly how to replicate, just it always happen if i leave files opened (such a txt open in NotePad) that's why i say that in my previews post ... but now it happen also only removing :-/

The same behaviour sometimes happen with CD/DVD

Just for fun i had a look on how it works on Windows XP: in short XP just close the device (USB/CD/DVD icon disappear) but leaving opened the txt file on NotePad or any other file opened as OS4, but icon always ON/OFF when i inserting/removing it
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

samo79 wrote:Guys sorry I have to correct myself, today i make some more test and i note that sometimes device icon remain on desktop also if i didn't leave opened any file, (so just removing manually the device) i don't understand exactly how to replicate, just it always happen if i leave files opened (such a txt open in NotePad) that's why i say that in my previews post ... but now it happen also only removing :-/

The same behaviour sometimes happen with CD/DVD
Icons should stay on the workbench if there is still a lock of some kind on the volume or one of its files. You don't necessarily have to have a file open. If you have a program that can list locks (I believe Ranger can) check whether there is still alock on something.
Just for fun i had a look on how it works on Windows XP: in short XP just close the device (USB/CD/DVD icon disappear) but leaving opened the txt file on NotePad or any other file opened as OS4, but icon always ON/OFF when i inserting/removing it
The behavior of Windows is irrelevant.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore