Using WinUAE to backup/restore SFS/00 Partitions

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
fitzsteve

Using WinUAE to backup/restore SFS/00 Partitions

Post by fitzsteve »

Hi!

After the pain of transferring all my data yesterday from my 2.5in HDD to my new SSD via USB (3-4hours for just 5gb Data lol) I was wondering if its possible to backup my partitions via WinUAE, this is how I prepare all my drives for classic setups and its much faster.

So I hooked up my old 2.5in HDD to my PC and ran WinUAE with OS3.9 (SmartFileSystem is in L:) the OS4.1 partitions show up in the early boot menu and HDToolBox can see them but they don't mount for use under OS3.9 :cry:

I know OS4.1 can see partitions I prepared in OS3.9, but why not the other way round?

Is there any trick I can use? I don't mind modifying the RDB on this drive if I have to since it will be wiped and used in another machine.

Thanks in advance :ugeek:

Steve.
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Using WinUAE to backup/restore SFS/00 Partitions

Post by JurassicC »

OS3.9 should have no problem seeing 4.1 partitions so long as the 68K versions of SFS and FFS from the 4.1 CD are in the RDB on your 2.5" drive. JFX/04 being the exception.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
fitzsteve

Post by fitzsteve »

JurassicC wrote:OS3.9 should have no problem seeing 4.1 partitions so long as the 68K versions of SFS and FFS from the 4.1 CD are in the RDB on your 2.5" drive. JFX/04 being the exception.

Hi!

That was the problem, I added SFS to the RDB and they're showing up now 8-)

Guess I missed that when setting up the drive, due to Media Toolbox having a different layout to OS3.9 and not reading the manual properly :oops:

Just another little qustion if you know the answer, if I use LHA to backup the Partitions will all OS4.1 protection bits be preserved or should I use ZIP?

Or maybe I should copy them into a HDF and zip that?

Steve.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

fitzsteve wrote:After the pain of transferring all my data yesterday from my 2.5in HDD to my new SSD via USB (3-4hours for just 5gb Data lol)
Why on earth are you using USB? Why not just have both HDs connected to your OS4 machine at the same time?
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

fitzsteve wrote:
Or maybe I should copy them into a HDF and zip that?

Steve.
What I do is use AmiDVD to create an iso of my boot partition and then lha the iso image.
The iso can then be mounted using diskimage as a virtual drive if you need to revert back to it also you can burn a real cd, make a bootable cd too etc.

Very flexible.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Are these versions available to non classic users ?

Would be a lifesaver in cases where you have problems with booting a OS 4.x machine due hardware failure. Either to secure your data
or to assist with the recovery of the machine.

JurassicC wrote:OS3.9 should have no problem seeing 4.1 partitions so long as the 68K versions of SFS and FFS from the 4.1 CD are in the RDB on your 2.5" drive. JFX/04 being the exception.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I do this too without the LHA for all my vital partitions.
I save a copy to a NAS drive via FTP.

Saved my bacon on Monday as I fried my Sams hardrive.
Also my DVD drive would not work so I had problems reinstalling to a new hard drive.
Was able to get the Sam booted from a bootable USB Flashdrive copy of the OS4.1 update install CD
which I had been experimenting with.Did a fresh install from the USB flashdrive.
Copied an iso image containing my Network settings to an external SDcard reader from the NAS using a PC
Copied settings to the fresh OS4.1 update 1installation, Installed PFTP and DiskImageGUI from the USB Install flashdrive.
Rebooted and Copied MY ISO images form the NAS to a work partition and then installed them back to their respective partitions except System:
Rebooted using the USB flash drive then copied the System ISO to System: and rebooted from the new hard drive.
Later I replaced the DVD drive.
Back up and all good so far

JurassicC wrote:
What I do is use AmiDVD to create an iso of my boot partition and then lha the iso image.
The iso can then be mounted using diskimage as a virtual drive if you need to revert back to it also you can burn a real cd, make a bootable cd too etc.

Very flexible.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Found these Windows programs yesterday . They can copy drives using a Windows machine either to another drive or an image file. Works with Hard drives ,Flash drives,SD Cards and Compact Flash cards using Amiga disk formats .

Roadkil's Raw Copy
Roadkil's Disk Image

http://www.roadkil.net/listing.php/C2/Disk%20Utilities
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

Just another little qustion if you know the answer, if I use LHA to backup the Partitions will all OS4.1 protection bits be preserved or should I use ZIP?
Lha of course. Zip knows nothing about Amiga bits or comments. Lha will store the Amiga protection bits and file comments properly. But an ISO (with Amiga extensions) is preferable over archiving the entire partition as someone said.

I assume you ask because of the fuzz with Lha and JXFS. But that is because Lha is lazy and don't set "default" bits (or don't set bits at all per default when extracting, can't remember which). Problem is that default bits have changed with JXFS. Zip will never store, or restore your bits or comments though.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

While we are on the subject of disk imaging I would like to suggest to Hyperion the option of a bootable Rawimage version of the OS 4.x install download.
This wold allow an install without a CD/DVD drive as registered users could create a botable Flash drive,SD card or Compact flash card or even a boot partition on a harddrive.