Printing from Google Cloud

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific

Printing from Google Cloud

Postby SteveH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:11 pm

This may not be news to everyone, but to me at least this came as a pleasant surprise! ... I recently bought a Samsung mono laserjet printer (Xpress M2022W), which comes with Google Cloud Print.
I didn't expect to be able to print to it from my X1000 - but I found it was really easy to do.
By getting Odyssey to spoof as Chrome, I registered the printer on the Samsung 'SynchThru' site, and now I can just print without having had to install any drivers. It's really neat.
I'm guessing the same is true of other Google Cloud-ready printers. For me, this is a Godsend, as I could never get my old printer to work with the X1000.
Steve
SteveH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Printing from Google Cloud

Postby tonyw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 am

Maybe there is something to be said for clouds after all. An unexpected positive result.
cheers
tony
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Postby LyleHaze » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:19 am

Interesting..
I have been talking about a google cloud print driver for a couple years now..
All talk and no action. :?

But this has bigger implications.
Google cloud print is NOT limited to "compatible" printers.
If it's working, then you should be able to use any PC with a Chrome browser to host ANY printer.
And it does NOT have to be on your local network either.. you could be across town or in another country.

Yes, I know.. but if you HAVE to have a windows machine in your house, slaving it to your Amiga seems a good start. ;)

Good news inded!
:D
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Postby chris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 pm

LyleHaze wrote:Interesting..
I have been talking about a google cloud print driver for a couple years now..
All talk and no action. :?

But this has bigger implications.
Google cloud print is NOT limited to "compatible" printers.
If it's working, then you should be able to use any PC with a Chrome browser to host ANY printer.
And it does NOT have to be on your local network either.. you could be across town or in another country.

Yes, I know.. but if you HAVE to have a windows machine in your house, slaving it to your Amiga seems a good start. ;)

You don't even need a Windows PC - there's a cloudprint python script that runs on Linux, and connects your CUPS printers to the cloud. I have it running on a Raspberry Pi. This isn't really that helpful though, as you can't print from native Amiga applications to Cloud Print (unless there's something I've overlooked?). You can, however, print direct to CUPS from the Amiga using the PostScript driver.
chris

Return to General AmigaOS