Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Various bugs in AmigaOS 4.1 Final

Post by nbache »

@samo79:

If it helps you understand, maybe you can think of FE as "Final Expense"? ;-)

Best regards,

Niels
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Just because i complained about the general betatest ?
I'm sorry but this time it's a fact that the betatesting went wrong in many areas, but i have no regret to have payed for it, my only hope is to found a stable version next time (that's why i'm reporting) nothing more and nothing less :-)

Aniway let's talking about the eventual issues now ..
K-L

Post by K-L »

I must also admit that this Final Edtion is a big disapointment.

I'm using 2 systems : a Sam440ep/Radeon M9 and an AmigaONE X1000 (BTW I still cannot reply in the X1000 part of the forum) used with a Radeon 9250 (with PCI<->PCI-E adapter 66Mhz).

Why I'm using a Radeon 9250 is my choice. No need for a Radeon HD for the moment.

First thing first : since Final Edition, DvPlayer 0.76 has become unusable whether I try it on the Sam440 or on the X1000. I do get a lot of CPU usage and a very ugly tearing on any video I watch. Under Update 6, everything is ok. Would the new RTG system be the culprit ? I know a new version of DvPlayer si due too be released but since there is no news about this since months, I am not waiting for it anymore. MPLayer is only valuable for those using an AmigaONE X1000 + Radeon HD (unusable on a Sam440 or AmigaOne XE with Radeon 9xxx since P96_PIP is buggy).

On the AmigaONE X1000 with the Radeon 9250, when the CPU is occupied by many threads, the mouse pointer becomes jerky and sometimes freezes totally (when surfing with Odyssey on heavy pages for example). This was not the case formely. I've had to deactivate compositing effects to improve a little bit things but the problem is still here.

Others bugs have already been mentionned in this very same thread (trouble clicking on a SMBFS volume, buggy contextmenu, AutoInfo problem, etc...).

BTW, I also encounter problems I did never encounter with the X1000 since it is the more stable AmigaOS system I've ever had... since the Final Edition. I get random freezes when replying to some mails for example (with SimpleMail) or while surfing with Odyssey with heavy sites. All in all, it's the multitasking part of the systme which can bring a total freeze of the system (requiring a hard reboot with the button case).

Regarding Warp3D/MiniGL, there seem to be some new bugs : Three, the demo by Crisot, is totally buggy whether I watch it on the Sam440 or the X1000/Radeon 9250. Used to work flawlessly under Update 6.

All in all, I hope that future updates will adress most of these bugs since my X1000 is my main system and I cannot trust it anymore for the moment.
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

K-L wrote: ...
On the AmigaONE X1000 with the Radeon 9250, when the CPU is occupied by many threads, the mouse pointer becomes jerky and sometimes freezes totally (when surfing with Odyssey on heavy pages for example). This was not the case formely. I've had to deactivate compositing effects to improve a little bit things but the problem is still here.
just guessing here - but i have/had a similar problem.
are you using limpidclock? if yes - try it without. it helped a lot here!
maybe another program is interfering? can you try without any tools run in the background?

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
K-L

Post by K-L »

No, I do not use LimpidClock (and this is not the same behaviour). BTW to get rid of the trouble you mention with LimpidClock (I used to use it), just set the priority lower (in LimpidClock's menu).

But no, no other program is interferring. I do get this problem with heavy use of CPU (mulithreading). It has already been reproduced by a BetaTester with a Radeon 9250 (Davebraco). This behaviour did not exist with Update 6.

Thanks fo trying to help nonetheway :-)
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

samo79 wrote:Just because i complained about the general betatest ?
No, I think you misunderstood. I was just pointing out that the "Final" label only meant that it is the last 4.1 update you have to pay for - all the rest will be the usual free AmiUpdate updates :-).

So - your Final Expense on 4.1 updates.

Best regards,

Niels
samo79

Post by samo79 »

K-L wrote:First thing first : since Final Edition, DvPlayer 0.76 has become unusable whether I try it on the Sam440 or on the X1000. I do get a lot of CPU usage and a very ugly tearing on any video I watch. Under Update 6, everything is ok.
Yes i have the same problem on my system, DvPlayer 0.76 seems unusable in FE :cry:
I have a Sam440ep Flex + Radeon 9250
nbache wrote:No, I think you misunderstood
Ah then i'm sorry, barrier language maybe .. pls forget :?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

samo79 wrote:
nbache wrote:No, I think you misunderstood
Ah then i'm sorry, barrier language maybe .. pls forget :?
No problem :-).

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

K-L wrote:First thing first : since Final Edition, DvPlayer 0.76 has become unusable whether I try it on the Sam440 or on the X1000. I do get a lot of CPU usage and a very ugly tearing on any video I watch. Under Update 6, everything is ok. Would the new RTG system be the culprit ? I know a new version of DvPlayer si due too be released but since there is no news about this since months, I am not waiting for it anymore. MPLayer is only valuable for those using an AmigaONE X1000 + Radeon HD (unusable on a Sam440 or AmigaOne XE with Radeon 9xxx since P96_PIP is buggy).

I can confirm this, though it's a general problem for me.

Once a program works the cpu to 100% all other applications become jerky at best, unusable at worst.

Example:
OS4.1upd6
- Compiling a big project which usually takes 30 to 40 minutes to finish
-- hggit, compiling and linking will push the cpu to it's barrier very often and for a very long time

Doing stuff beside that compiling was easily done as all other apps reacted smoothly (even with 100% cpu) - there were only some very few slowdowns (which i could live with).
I was even able to normally surf sites with Odyssey and do other stuff overall beside the compiling.

OS4.1FE
- The very same, unchanged setup app-wise

Now, once the cpu is at 100% (and it doesn't matter which program does it) the system becomes unusable.
The mouse pointer stalls, actually the whole input.device stalls (no keyboard input possible for the amount of time the cpu stays at 100%), to say it in gamer language ... it lags hellishly.

The system comes back to be usable once the cpu goes under 100%, but becomes unusable once it goes up again.
That's the one major drawback for me with this release.

Others have said that turning off compositing fixed it...and yes, it gets better if i do so, but what is the point of having a new gfx driver which "should be able to do compositing on the gfx chip to take off the load of the cpu" (thats how i understood it anyway, correct me if i'm wrong, please) when *with* the new gfx driver the system now stalls at 100%.

Something is not quite right, or maybe it's just me?

Btw, i of course reused my GUI settings from upd6, but that doesn't make a difference.

RadeonHD 7970 here, so it's not depending on the gfx card installed
Running Apps:
AmiDock
ASyncWB
DefIcons
RAWBInfo
ScreenBlankerEngine (with no modules, just blank)
ClicktoFront
ContextMenus
Wet
DiskImageGUI
RinghioServer
YAM
Odyssey
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

I confirm the feelings of K-L and Raziel about the lagging system when high CPU workload OR high network traffic.

Not the case on the same X1000/HD6670 for the same actions under 4.1.6.

All of us three have X1000, are these lagging periods especially presents on X1000 ?

What can be done to send relevants elements to dev-team to spot the problem ?
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE