Update 3 - No new con-handler?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Update 3 - No new con-handler?

Post by Rigo »

As much as I hate to sound harsh, this is the AmigaOS support forum, not a general whining forum.

Please keep postings to a support nature.

Simon
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

Rigo wrote:As much as I hate to sound harsh, this is the AmigaOS support forum, not a general whining forum.
I think a question about the difference in USB v2 considered a bug fix while a new con-handler and console.device isn't is a valid question, don't you?
Peter Gordon
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Peter Gordon »

Update 3 was *mostly* bug fixes, but USB v2 was included. Consider it a bonus.

I'm sorry if you feel disappointed, but the new console was never promised for Update 3, so it is a little unfair to expect it.
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

Peter Gordon wrote:Update 3 was *mostly* bug fixes, but USB v2 was included. Consider it a bonus.

I'm sorry if you feel disappointed, but the new console was never promised for Update 3, so it is a little unfair to expect it.
Never promised, but I spoke to a core developer not long ago via email, and it sure sounded like it was going to be included. He had been using it "since quite some time" at least.
Peter Gordon
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Peter Gordon »

Ahh OK, i'm sorry to hear that, but as far as i'm aware, it was never planned to be in u3.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It wasn't sufficiently mature to be released with the original 4.1, and as Steven says, the Updates since then have been bug fixes, not new releases.
The new con-handler/console are (like everything else) still being developed, and have always been intended for release with OS 4.2.
cheers
tony
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

Rigo wrote:As much as I hate to sound harsh, this is the AmigaOS support forum, not a general whining forum.
BTW Simon, is that the commercial entity Hyperion Entertainment calling me, a paying customer, a whiner, on their official support forum?

I believe my questions are valid throughout this thread, while the tone sure sprung out of disappintment.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

davebraco wrote:More over USB2 seems to be more urgent than a new con-handler to basic end user.
I agree. I wish I could use it! It doesn't like my hardware. :-(

But CON is an old issue. And I can see when it's out people might say, "Oh the scroll bar is nice, but where arwe the tabs?" :-P

In the end the temporary solution is to install KingCON like everybody else. But making sure it doesn't umount CON and put KCON in its place.
Last edited by Hypex on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gordon
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Peter Gordon »

BTW Simon, is that the commercial entity Hyperion Entertainment calling me, a paying customer, a whiner, on their official support forum?
I agree that Simon wasn't being incredibly tactful with his phrasing. I don't think your original post sounds like whining. Anyway, the answer to your question is simply that the new console was never going to be in U3, and nothing changed.
HyperionMP
Hyperion Entertainment
Hyperion Entertainment

Post by HyperionMP »

TonyW, who posted earlier in this thread, is the developer working on the new con-handler.

He decided that it was NOT ready yet for distribution and that some issues needed to be addressed first.

Since he is the developer and has spent an incredible amount of time on developing the replacement whilst remaining as compatible as possible, Hyperion Management, in my view quite rightly, decided to respect his wishes and not release it to the general public.

Note that there have now been 3 FREE updates for AmigaOS 4.1, each introducing new functionality in addition to bugfixes and minor/major enhancements.

I dare to claim that if you paid around 100 euro for AmigaOS 4.1 when it was released (of which after deduction of taxes and dealer margin Hyperion receives only slightly more than half of that amount), you are getting value for money.

Especially considering the size of the market and the cost of continued development.

Ofcourse, if AmigaOS is not really your thing anymore, any money spent on it is probably too much.