Jerky mouse with dockies enabled on X1000/Radeon 9250

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Jerky mouse with dockies enabled on X1000/Radeon 9250

Post by Hans »

K-L wrote:Thanks Hans,

This is the one I'm using currently :

http://firewire.computer-parts-store.co ... ie_X8.html
Okay, so it is actually a PCIe to PCI-X adaptor, which you're using in 66 MHz PCI mode. That definitely helps performance-wise.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
K-L

Post by K-L »

Yes, this is the reason why I choose this model. Under Update 6, it used to have no problem at all and was really fast.
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

@K-L

Sorry for late response.

I tried to verify your issue.
I have 2 GFX cards installed in my system: a RadeonHD 4850 and a PCI Radeon 9200 which is put directly into a PCI slot of my X1000.

I have switched workbench to the PCI Radeon 9200 (which I currently personly recommend on a dual-gfx setup).
I have connected the Radeon 9200 via a VGA cable and I use a resolution of 1280x1024x16.
My Amidock shows among others X1kTemp and CPUtemp.

With this setup, I cannot reproduce your problems.

Questions:

1) Can you specify a link to a webpage where the problem becomes obvious? You said that the jerky mouse with Oddyssey prevents zyou from surfing the web and, hence, from using FinalEdition. So, I guess, it should be easy for you to point me to some web pages where the issue shows up.

2) Could you try for testing to put your PCI GFX card into the PCI slot -- just to be sure that not your riser card causes the issues?

3) for completenss: please specify your resolution and connection (VGA/DVI) so I can test a similar setup. Are in "Sys:Prefs:Gui" -> Effects enbabled or disabled?

EDIT:

4) Can you confirm that your problems remain in a 16-bit screen, too?

Thanks,
nexus
samo79

Post by samo79 »

K-L wrote:Yes, this is the reason why I choose this model. Under Update 6, it used to have no problem at all and was really fast.
Hope they will release soon a new update for the graphics.library, maybe it will fix all that problems :roll:

P.S.
I sent you a private message on amigans.net, please check ;)
K-L

Post by K-L »

nexus wrote:@K-L

1) Can you specify a link to a webpage where the problem becomes obvious? You said that the jerky mouse with Oddyssey prevents zyou from surfing the web and, hence, from using FinalEdition. So, I guess, it should be easy for you to point me to some web pages where the issue shows up.
Any heavy webpage such as Facebook, CNN or any huge loading sites. But not only Odyssey, anything that is CPU demanding will cause this.
2) Could you try for testing to put your PCI GFX card into the PCI slot -- just to be sure that not your riser card causes the issues?
In the PCI slot, it's worse : slow mouse, slow display and so on. This is the reason why I decided to use the adapter. I tried again and still really slow with a really jerky mouse pointer.
3) for completeness: please specify your resolution and connection (VGA/DVI) so I can test a similar setup. Are in "Sys:Prefs:Gui" -> Effects enbabled or disabled?
1920x1080 32 Bits. Same problem in 16 bits. I tried every connection (VGA, DVI, DVI->VGA adpater) and still the same trouble. If I disable effects, it's a little bit better but whenever a multitasling docky (or Dnetc for example) is activated, the same pronlem happens again.

I even tried different mouses on different USB ports.
4) Can you confirm that your problems remain in a 16-bit screen, too?
I can confirm this fact. Same behaviour whether in 16bits or 32Bits.

It used to work perfectly with AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6.

Thanls.
--
K-L

Post by K-L »

Ok, so far I reverted back to Update 6 and it's day and night. Update 6 works way better than Final Edition on the X1000.

I was near the process of giving up using my X1000 but fortunately I took my Update 6 backup and reinstalled it, and now I am once again happy with.

I also tried a fresh installation of Final Edition and I got the exact same behaviour with the mouse pointer. My system is not the culprit so.
--
xenic

Post by xenic »

K-L wrote:Ok, so far I reverted back to Update 6 and it's day and night. Update 6 works way better than Final Edition on the X1000.
Some of us are reaching a similar conclusion. I would just say "better" rather than "way better".

If you are booting FE from an SFS or SFS2 partition, you might try installing it on an FFS partition. In my report about another slowdown in "SDK Support -> SDK:C/make very slow with OS4.1FE", I discovered that switching to FFS for my FE boot partition eliminated that slowdown. It might be worth trying to see if it helps your FE slowdown problem.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

I get exactly the same experience as you, K-L. High CPU causes the whole system to become uselessly slow and stuttering. The worst is when transcoding a video or encoding an MP3 with Lame. Before OS4 FE it would be almost unnoticeable at pri 0 (half CPU left for other things). But with OS4 FE something fundamental has changed in the core scheduler and/or the graphics rendering mechanics.

I have a "normal" RadeonHD6570(?) card as delivered with my X1000 and the RadeonHD v2 driver.

Normally, lowering the CPU to -1 or -10 or something would have made this process (transcoding, compiling, loading a heavy site in Odyssey, whatever) transparent and unnoticable. The same behavior I know AmigaOS for from OS1.3 to OS4.1.6. - Not so with OS4 FE. - Instead the mouse (which runs on various HID tasks at pri 10 and input.device at pri 20 (why on earth are they not all at pri 20???)) stutters like mad (like one move a second) even if the CPU heavy part runs at pri -10.

I have LimpidClock. It runs at pri -20. Increasing (not decreasing) LimpidClock's priority to *above* the CPU heavy task almost removes all stuttering!!! :-o
I have a theory:
LimpidClock has a 1 second timer. It wants to run once a sec. Once in a while (when the CPU heavy waits for disk I/O perhaps) it gets to run for a brief moment, long enough to start a graphics operation and lock the system draw semaphore. Then it doesn't get to run again until the next second. During this second the CPU heavy task runs and the system, including mouse and keyboard are frozen.

Why does this happen in FE? What has changed?
K-L

Post by K-L »

On my side I gave up and installed an old Radeon 2400 Pro that I got from a PC. I bought RadeonHD driver, deinstalled my 9250 and now I get no more jerky pointer.

zzd10h told me recently that he still has this behaviour with his Radeon HD too. Weird, I hope this problem has been identified by the developpers.
--
pvanni

Post by pvanni »

I have the same problem with my X1000 and radeon HD6450 sometimes even without dockies