Jerky mouse with dockies enabled on X1000/Radeon 9250

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
K-L

Jerky mouse with dockies enabled on X1000/Radeon 9250

Post by K-L »

Hello,

I already mentionned this in the topic dedicated to the various bugs of FE but I know now that multitasking (sort of I mean) is the culprit here.

My configuration : AmigaONE X1000-2GB Ram and a Radeon 9250 128 Bits plugged into the highest PCI-Express slot with a dedicated 66Mhz PCI<->PCI-E Adapter (do not ask why I use a Radeon 9250 instead of a Radeon HD, this is my choice regarding this specific subject :-) ).

Let me explain : with Update 6, I used to have numerous dockies enabled (SmartDock, NetDock, RAMDock, GFXDOck, CPUTemp.docy, X1KTemp and so on). there was also Dnetc and Limpidclock enabled (the latest with a priority of -36). Everything was working fine with no slowness at all.

With the Final Edition, whenever only ONE docky is enabled, the mouse becomes jerky when the CPU is fully loaded with multiple threads and it's pretty unusable. Since Odyssey is really demanding in power resources, surfing has become very difficult since then.

I've taken much time to guess where the problem came from and finally decided to test without the dockies. Well not only the dockies but everything that run in background cas the mouse to become jerky.

Juste to show you what happens (just look at the mouse pointer) :

Without anything running in background : http://youtu.be/fR1wcU-Wu4U
With only CPUTemp.docky : http://youtu.be/riFL2KyDy0Q

Could the new DMA improvments in graphics.library be the culprit in a way or another ? Today, all my dockies are disabled. So I do only one task at the same time. Not really nice for a multisaking system.

BTW : no problem of that sort on the Sam440.

Any idea ?
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
xenic

Re: Jerky mouse with dockies enabled on X1000/Radeon 9250

Post by xenic »

K-L wrote:Let me explain : with Update 6, I used to have numerous dockies enabled (SmartDock, NetDock, RAMDock, GFXDOck, CPUTemp.docy, X1KTemp and so on). there was also Dnetc and Limpidclock enabled (the latest with a priority of -36). Everything was working fine with no slowness at all.
Maybe someone else knows more about the CPUTemp dockie, but I don't think it should be used on X1000. The X1000 CPU shown in Ranger is not listed in the CPUTemp readme as one of the CPUs that are known to work with CPUTemp. It also doesn't seem to make sense to run 2 temperature dockies.

It probably has nothing to do with your problem but I get the same kind of system slowdown when I am on the main AmigaWorld.net page when the Cisco WebEx advertisement is displayed. Odyssey becomes unusably slow, mouse movements are jerky and my entire system seems to be in slow motion. If I disable javascript in Odyssey, everything is back to normal but I can't post at AmigaWorld without javascript enabled.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

K-L wrote: ...
there was also Dnetc and Limpidclock enabled (the latest with a priority of -36). Everything was working fine with no slowness at all.
have you tried with limpidclock disabled completely?
i have smth similar experienced here.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
K-L

Post by K-L »

Everything has been deactivated since only one of these cause the jerky mouse.

BTW regarding LimpidClock, just set a lowest priority via LimpidClock's menu, this should get rid of your slowness (but not mine).
--
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@K-L

I have similar problems under Sam440, currently i doesn't use any kind of docky, but from time to time the whole system start running slow during the use (mouse jerky and so on) usually it's all ends with a funny freeze !
Sometimes I can reproduce it just moving around a simple window, while for example i'm watching a video with MPlayer !

Don't know, those problems might depend to the big changes they did in FE in order to unify the graphics area .. maybe, if so i really hope they can solve it soon because yep use OS4 now it's a bit problematic .. also some various programs are becoming incompatible or partially incompatible, DvPlayer have problems, certain games like Hurrican doesn't start anymore and who know what else :-/

Aniway for now try to disable the compositing and see if it help
K-L

Post by K-L »

Hi Samo,

I already disabled compositing.

Today, my AmigaONE X1000 is totally unable to multitask (no docky, no appicon, no compositing effects...). Great for such a fast computer.

For now, I do not use it that much and prefer to use my Mac Mini under MorphOS (I never thought I was going to write this one day) since it's much more reliable and everything works as expected.

I hope thes troubles get rid off. Otherwise I should either revert to Update 6 (but I paid for FE) or simply swicth operating system and start using another one (Linux on my PC or MorphOS with the Mac Mini).
--
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

K-L wrote:My configuration : AmigaONE X1000-2GB Ram and a Radeon 9250 128 Bits plugged into the highest PCI-Express slot with a dedicated 66Mhz PCI<->PCI-E Adapter (do not ask why I use a Radeon 9250 instead of a Radeon HD, this is my choice regarding this specific subject :-) ).
Just double-checking, is the adaptor really a PCIe-to-PCI adaptor? Or are we talking about a PCIe-to-PCIX one? While the jerky behaviour shouldn't happen either way, PCIe-to-PCI adaptors tend to be rather slow. Yes, even the 66 MHz ones. I'd just like to be sure of what hardware we're dealing with.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
K-L

Post by K-L »

Thanks Hans,

This is the one I'm using currently :

http://firewire.computer-parts-store.co ... ie_X8.html
--
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

K-L wrote: My configuration : AmigaONE X1000-2GB Ram and a Radeon 9250 128 Bits plugged into the highest PCI-Express slot with a dedicated 66Mhz PCI<->PCI-E Adapter (do not ask why I use a Radeon 9250 instead of a Radeon HD, this is my choice regarding this specific subject :-) )
Quick question: Is there a reason why you plugin the Radeon 9250 into a that adapter and not directly into the PCI slot of the X1000? Is the behaviour the same with the 9250 put into the PCI slot?

Thanks,
nexus
K-L

Post by K-L »

Quick answer : the PCI slots of the X1000 are too slow to cope with a graphic card, way too slow (no DMA, only 33Mhz and so on). They are only legacy PCI ports.

Various tests have been realized with GfxBench2D that show this fact.
--