console control codes in 4.1FE

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: console control codes in 4.1FE

Post by tonyw »

I apologise: when I said in an earlier post that i had fixed the problem, that was untrue. I was confusing your bug with another.

Your bug has not yet been addressed or fixed and the bug report is still open.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

@tonyw
When I'm in the early stages of trying to fix lots of errors and warnings, I frequently want to clear the History and the window so that it's easier to get to the top of the errors/warnings in the next compile attempt. As a matter of user convenience, could you add a menu item that clears both the History and the window?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:@tonyw
When I'm in the early stages of trying to fix lots of errors and warnings, I frequently want to clear the History and the window so that it's easier to get to the top of the errors/warnings in the next compile attempt. As a matter of user convenience, could you add a menu item that clears both the History and the window?

try

alias ClearHistory echo NOLINE "*Ec"
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:
try

alias ClearHistory echo NOLINE "*Ec"
Thanks. That's much simpler than typing CLS and then Right-Amiga-Z. I'm adding that alias to my shell-startup as soon as I complete this post :-)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Lazi's original bug has now been fixed. Still checking to make sure that I haven't screwed up something else.

Raziel's report is not a bug at all. When you think of it, all the rows at the top of the screen still have the original background colour in the parts that were not over-written. But when the display starts scrolling, new rows are created at the bottom of the screen, and those rows are created with the current settings, specifically, the new background colour.

So that is why the new rows show the new background colour for their full width.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:Lazi's original bug has now been fixed. Still checking to make sure that I haven't screwed up something else.

Raziel's report is not a bug at all. When you think of it, all the rows at the top of the screen still have the original background colour in the parts that were not over-written. But when the display starts scrolling, new rows are created at the bottom of the screen, and those rows are created with the current settings, specifically, the new background colour.

So that is why the new rows show the new background colour for their full width.
That sounds logical, yes

But it also means i cannot give automatically created lines that will scroll the shell window a different color without having all new lines be drawn in this color...sigh, back to normal background then

Plus the original bug item

Code: Select all

echo "*E[5;8Hoo"
will look as wrong (whole line instead of only the characters drawn with a white background) if one alters it to draw on a "new" line outside the size of the shell, i.e.

echo "*E[26;8Hoo"
Plus, if you do

echo "*E[42m"
on a normal shell background color and on the new line use the TAB feature to scroll though already typed commands the line will also change to full white (because of it being redrawn). This does look wrong aswell to me.

imho i think there should at least be a check for drawn characters and only apply the background change to them otherwise to the full line?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If you change the foreground or background colours, no existing text will be touched. New text will be drawn with the new colours, either over old text or on new lines, but old text will not change unless you write over it.
cheers
tony
lazi

Post by lazi »

Just found that CTRL+J does not work in the new shell!

Is this feature dropped by intentionally?

I want it back!
Want it NOW :-)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

lazi wrote:Just found that CTRL+J does not work
What do you mean by "does not work"? What do you expect it to do?
in the new shell!
What new shell? Please give version numbers of:

- console.device.kmod
- con-handler.kmod
- shell.kmod

- all from your Kickstart dir.

On my system (on a clean public 4.1. Final Edition) I can press Ctrl-J fine, it does the same as when I press Enter or Return.

BTW, whatever it is you're trying to describe, it has nothing to do with console control codes, so you should probably have started a new topic instead.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:On my system (on a clean public 4.1. Final Edition) I can press Ctrl-J fine, it does the same as when I press Enter or Return.

BTW, whatever it is you're trying to describe, it has nothing to do with console control codes, so you should probably have started a new topic instead.
That bug was reported back in September 2017 in the "AmigaOS Shell issue (FE Update 1)" topic and Tony said he fixed it. As a beta tester, it might work correctly for you. "Control J" is supposed to let you enter multiple commands and execute them all at once. It's sort of like entering multiple commands with "run" by adding a + at the end of each line like:
run echo hello +
list ram: +
echo done

With the current publicly available shell, "Control J" works like "Control M" instead.