Wav audio datatype and Hollywood

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Wav audio datatype and Hollywood

Post by tonyw »

I quote from the Autodoc for sound_dt:

SDTA_BitsPerSample (uint8) (V53.2)
Set and get the actual bitrate of the sample which can be 8,
16 or 32 bits.

Which implies that the OS4 datatype supports 8/16/32-bit samples. We also know that the "problem" sample plays OK under OS4 using the datatype, so where is the problem?
cheers
tony
trixie

Post by trixie »

@xenic
I'm not sure why people are suggesting that we replace a newer version of Stephan Rupprecht's datatype with an older one because one 3rd party program can't play some samples.
No one's suggesting that, it would be ridiculous! I'm just wondering why V44 of the datatype did not implement functionality present in V41 of the datatype, that's all. Is it because V41 was never official and some of Stephan's features were not adopted? That would explain it.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

V44 of the datatype did not implement functionality present in V41 of the datatype
Are we sure of that? The documentation seems to say otherwise.
cheers
tony
g0blin

Post by g0blin »

Hello guys,

just to keep you posted, we converted the "offending" *.wav files into ogg format using sox.
I tested a few of those sounds and they seem to play pretty well, so I will modify the code to use the new format (at least on OS4).

Thanks again for your help.

Gianlua