String.gadget bug when hitting Enter

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Deniil

String.gadget bug when hitting Enter

Post by Deniil »

Hi

For a long time (maybe earlier than update 6, can't remember exactly) I have seen a wierd bug with my text editor Annotate and its ReAction Find window's string gadget. I have teared my hair out trying to find what is wrong but could NOT find anything wrong with my code.

So today!! Today I saw the same bug in the normal system ASL file requester (writing a filename in AudioEvolution4).

The bug:
Write some text in a string gadget and press enter: "test"
Result (5-10%): From the gadget I get "textner crap from somewhere".

It seems that sometimes it fails to store a null-terminator but instead stores 'n' followed by some "Earlier crap from somewhere", often seemingly form the clipboard, or written in a string at some other point (the same string gadget?).

I have seen this quite regurlarly from Annotate and thought it was a bug there since it has a STRING_EditHook (in which I just cannot find anything wrong), but now I saw the exact same behavior in an ASL-requester. Does ASL use an EditHook as well? The bug does not appear when the edithook actually edits the string, only sometimes when it passes straight through.

This is probably a pretty simple bug if you just look at the code.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: String.gadget bug when hitting Enter

Post by tonyw »

I got this fixed some years ago, only to see it bad again some time later. I don't remember what was fixed, but somewhere the fix was lost. I'll look into it.

BTW, every time it happens to me, the "old" stuff added is ABADCAFE (the ASCII representation of) repeated over and over. It sure looks like a buffer over-run.
cheers
tony
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

@tonyw

Glad to see it is a known bug.

ABADCAFE might be from the debug kernel, that I suppose you use most of the time?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

ALL of the time, on ALL my machines. On the Sam 460 it's FEFECAFE, but the effect is the same.

OK, found the old bug report. It is one of those bugs that has been haunting us foryears, very difficult to reproduce.

BZ #6064. I'll add this report to it.
cheers
tony