Overlay broken on 9250-based systems with FE?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Overlay broken on 9250-based systems with FE?

Post by eliyahu »

@testers

there was a post from K-L here back in january (link) that got buried, but i'd like to bring it up again. basically on SAM440 and X1000 systems that are using radeon 9250 video cards, it appears that video overlay is broken on the release version of AOS4.1 final edition. at the moment it is working just fine on my peg2 system running the latest beta components. so here's what i need:

1. anyone who has dvplayer, a SAM440, FE retail, and a 9250 to test and see if video overlay is working for you
2. anyone who has dvplayer, a SAM440, the latest OS beta components, and a 9250 to test and see if video overlay is working for you

if it turns that things are broken in both FE and beta, i'll open a BZ entry for this. if it's just broken in FE but working in beta, then we know things will be addressed with the next set of public updates. anyone who can help, please post here. :)

-- eliyahu
Last edited by eliyahu on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samo79

Re: Overlay broken on 9250-based systems with FE?

Post by samo79 »

Apparently all my video's collection continue to work more or less fine, however it seems i can't fully resize them like before (i mean increasing the window dimention till the fullscreen) because at some point the resizing of DvPlayer's window will be blocked in a certain fixed dimention of the screen.

Also since the installation of the Final Edition i noted another curious problem, this time with MUI MPlayer.
From time to time when i watch a video i got some very strange random flashing glitch, usually in the form of a strange green flash

I have a Sam440 Flex 800 + Radeon 9250
K-L

Post by K-L »

Thanks Eliyahu :-)

Testers must have Update 6 and FE installed ont their system.

The same video must be used (on X1000, you can test the famous BigBuckBunny720p video).

With Update 6, you'll get no tearing and about 70% CPU usage, with FE you should get some tearing and about 95-100% usage.

What is tearing ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@All

Using the Final Edition are you able to increase the window size till the maximum dimention of the screen ?
Fullscreen works but still some limitation on the window size ... i had no problem to do that with the update 6
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

samo79 wrote:@All

Using the Final Edition are you able to increase the window size till the maximum dimention of the screen ?
Fullscreen works but still some limitation on the window size ... i had no problem to do that with the update 6
i don't have any performance issues like this on my peg2, so my guess is that the cuprit may be some system-dependent DMA routines. that would explain why only the X1K and SAM guys have issues where the A1XE and peg2 users don't. but that's just a guess.

-- eliyahu
K-L

Post by K-L »

Indeed I cannot resize the window, when I try, it reduces the size and won't allow me to change it anymore.
--
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

K-L wrote:

Indeed I cannot resize the window, when I try, it reduces the size and won't allow me to change it anymore.
i'm trying to get someone to verify things on a beta system, but in the mean time, can you help me with a few things so i can open a defect against the graphics.library developers? here's what i need:

* a detailed description of the behavior you see
* what tools (mplayer, dvplayer) do you see the behavior? is it only in one or in all tools that use video overlay?
* what version of the tools in question are you using?
* do you have only the 'final edition' library components? can you attach a GR report that lists all of your libraries/devices and their versions?
* what hardware is this seen on?

i think i know most of your answers already, but if you could put them in a single post, that would help. i'm also going to see if we can provide you a tool to disable DMA and see if that allows video overlay to work again (or not) -- just to test my theory. either way i want this in the bugzilla system and tracked. not all of the developers frequent this board, and the bugzilla system is the one way we can ensure this issue gets attention. ;)

-- eliyahu
samo79

Post by samo79 »

eliyahu wrote:I don't have any performance issues like this on my peg2, so my guess is that the cuprit may be some system-dependent DMA routines. that would explain why only the X1K and SAM guys have issues where the A1XE and peg2 users don't. but that's just a guess.
Performance issue ? Don't know ... compared to K-L with my copy of DvPlayer all the videos i had (in my old update 6 installation) still working as before even in the Final Edition .. but sure as i never did any real benchmark i can't exclude a possible performance degradation during the switch, it's possible but if still one for now i didn't note any ...
However what i'm sure is that now i can't resize the DvPlayer window til a very specific size in the screen, while before i have no problem to do that with the update 6, so a problem still

I think you should report it to rwo (Renè Olsen) directly as he is the guy behind all the latest changes of the graphics part in the Final Edition, he is for sure the most competent person to ask of
K-L

Post by K-L »

@Eliyahu
* a detailed description of the behavior you see
* what tools (mplayer, dvplayer) do you see the behavior? is it only in one or in all tools that use video overlay?
* what version of the tools in question are you using?
* do you have only the 'final edition' library components? can you attach a GR report that lists all of your libraries/devices and their versions?
* what hardware is this seen on?
1° Only with DvPlayer 0.76. This is the only tool that shows this behaviour. MPlayer (latest betas) is working correctly.
2° Only DvPlayer 0.76. I do not use any other program that make use of overlay (except Mplayer in beta testing)
3° Yes, I even tried with an all new fresh clean install of Final Edition and tested DvPlayer 0.76 both on Sam440 and AmigaONE X1000. I vene tested DvPlayer 0.76 demo from the AmigaOS CD.
4° My hardware : Sam440ep/RadeonM9 and AmigaONE X1000/Radeon 9250 (PCI<->PCI-E).

I could realize the test to disable DMA and see if I reproduce the trouble. My e-mail : citelisline AT gmail DOT com
--
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

samo79 wrote:I think you should report it to rwo (Renè Olsen) directly as he is the guy behind all the latest changes of the graphics part in the Final Edition, he is for sure the most competent person to ask of
I don't know where you are getting your information from but that is completely bogus.
ExecSG Team Lead