D&D Result

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
mritter0

D&D Result

Post by mritter0 »

Is there a "standard" for what drag & drop is supposed to do?

D&D from Workbench window (RAM:) to Workbench window (DH0:) does a copy.

D&D from Workbench window (RAM:) to Filer does a cut.

D&D from Workbench window (RAM:) to DOpus does a copy.

Windows does copy for it's D&D.

To me I would prefer a cut. If I am dragging my Music folder from DH0: to DH1: I must be wanting to move it, not copy it.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
thomasrapp

Re: D&D Result

Post by thomasrapp »

If you drag from drawer to drawer on the same drive, the file is moved. If you drag from drawer to drawer on different drives, the file is copied. This is the same in Windows btw. (except that objects are called folders rather than drawers).

If you drag from Workbench to an application, a message is sent to the application. It's up to the application to do something with this information. It does not necessarily need to be a file operation.
xenic

Post by xenic »

mritter0 wrote:Is there a "standard" for what drag & drop is supposed to do?
To me I would prefer a cut. If I am dragging my Music folder from DH0: to DH1: I must be wanting to move it, not copy it.
Yes, the standard for drag & drop on Amiga has been the same for almost 30 years. Changing it would just cause massive confusion at this point. As thomasrapp points out, D&D on the same partiton is a move. A D&D to another partition or disk is a copy. Filer has a "drag & drop like Workbench" prefs option which should be the default in my view. I wonder how many people have lost files with Filer because they assume it will work like Workbench?

I use drag & drop to create backups. I would be very p***ed off if my original files got deleted.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
mritter0

Post by mritter0 »

That's what I wanted to hear. I will do it that way.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers