Any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi printer?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
HKvalhe

Re: Any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi print

Post by HKvalhe »

Daedalus wrote:Why does it have to be so black and white with you? Perhaps we can leave things like printing on specific printers to a PC, and still use AmigaOS for other things, which means we don't need to leave it to die. I suspect you already knew that answer already though - this sounds suspiciously like a conversation you had on Facebook a little while ago when you also left the Amiga for good...

In any case, without some sort of colour management system, AmigaOS is less than ideal for photography work, so even if you could use your printer you'd probably still be disappointed.

Personally, while I know the printing system needs a massive overhaul, it's still possible to print to pretty much any printer if you have a PC host to do some PostScript emulation, which is how I use my Epson R800 from my Amiga (awesome printer for photography by the way, sadly discontinued). Of course I don't print photos from the Amiga, just from the PC, but for other stuff it works fine. It's also possible to use a PostScript printer directly from AmigaOS.

If it makes you feel better, I've yet to get one of those multiprinters to fully work with Linux either. Most often it's the scanner that doesn't work, but I've also found that even the exact model driver doesn't use the inks correctly, resulting in terrible printouts. At the end of the day, for using most modern inkjet printers properly you should just stick to their system requirements, i.e. Windows or Mac. Occasionally the manufacturers support Linux, but mostly they don't, so you can't legitimately expect it to work beyond the specs printed on the box.
Well, it proves what i have said. You have to use a PC for printing and scanning photos. I know it's not possible on the Amiga. I was hoping for that. Seeing that is not likely to happen, it really forces me to go for a PC. Using the Amiga today doesn't feel like the same fun it used to be long ago. A lot has changed and not all neccessary to the better...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@HKvalhe

As you always come back after to have left Amiga few times, why don't take a new Amiga way ?
Rather than complain about OS4 lacks, try to fill them yourself.

For example, you could spend your free time to learn to code under OS4 and ask SSolie to join OS4 dev team...
You dream will be realisable by YOURSELF !

Don't waste your time saying "I'm not a coder", better to begin to read OS4 wiki and to start coding ;)

Courage.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
eliyahu
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by eliyahu »

HKvalhe wrote:Well, it proves what i have said. You have to use a PC for printing and scanning photos.
no, but it does restrict which modern printers you can use. i have had tremendous success with HP officejet printers, for example. i am able to print in full color using (depending on the printer model) either the third-party photosmart driver or turboprint+postscript. with the latter i can tweak things to get duplex printing as well and alter the color mapping if i want. as for the scanning the HP officejet line includes a wireless web interface, so when i want to scan i point odyssey to the IP address of my printer and scan away. the resultant image file is then downloaded to my amiga, where i edit it using arteffect or fxpaint. so, full color, postscript printing and scanning via wifi. all supported quite nicely.

i haven't, though, been able to send a fax directly from my amiga to any of the officejets -- but i don't mind that since when faxing i inevitably have to print a page first to sign it and stamp it, and then send it manually. but you can always use good ol' faxstf and a model connected via serial if you really wanted to.

i suspect that if you had asked the forums about that canon printer of yours before you purchased it, you would have had folks recommend something else. like me, for example. that said the resolution of your model is very high, and i'm not sure even turboprint supports resolutions past 1200dpi -- so if you really need something higher, then, yes, you may be out of luck. ;)

-- eliyahu
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

HKvalhe wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Clearly this is an impostor.
HKvalhe left the Amiga scene months ago.
Someone must have hacked his unused account here .
I can tell you i am NOT an imposter. It is actually me. Yes, i HAVE left, but i'm also trying to convince Hyperion and other important Amiga companies that things as full printer support have to be done into AmigaOS. I don't care how or how much it will cost. I only care that it HAS to be done...

But i have left just about every tie to the Amiga, including my own founded AmigaOS group on Facebook. Mainly to make my statement, but also because i'm really pissed about the Amiga situation, as lacking a serious thing as full printer support...
Helge! Dude! How much will it take to get you to understand "In Developement"? The Amiga OS is always morphing. I have wasted a lot of good posts to you when I found the entire section deleted. So has others. This is NOT a team of Developers and Betatesters to fill an entire Corporation. These are small numbers of people like you and me who find and make time to develope Amiga OS. I don't think repetition of this should be necessary for a grown man to finally get it to sink in. Again, I find this to be the best years of Amiga going forward. We Amigans now have an indelible place in the computer world with the new Amiga OS platform. It took 4 to 5 years for it to get here and 30 years of on going support. You want the Kindom for a horse - who's going to pull the wagon? You need to get a grip on how much is involved in the engineering, design and development of an OS. Especially from nearly scratch and maintain the Amiga brand - look and feel. So keep on harping brother, you, me and all who have involved ourselves with your post will either get locked or wiped out. Take care, Man!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

jdupuis wrote:
HKvalhe wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:Clearly this is an impostor.
HKvalhe left the Amiga scene months ago.
Someone must have hacked his unused account here .
I can tell you i am NOT an imposter. It is actually me. Yes, i HAVE left, but i'm also trying to convince Hyperion and other important Amiga companies that things as full printer support have to be done into AmigaOS. I don't care how or how much it will cost. I only care that it HAS to be done...

But i have left just about every tie to the Amiga, including my own founded AmigaOS group on Facebook. Mainly to make my statement, but also because i'm really pissed about the Amiga situation, as lacking a serious thing as full printer support...
Helge! Dude! How much will it take to get you to understand "In Developement"? The Amiga OS is always morphing. I have wasted a lot of good posts to you when I found the entire section deleted. So has others. This is NOT a team of Developers and Betatesters to fill an entire Corporation. These are small numbers of people like you and me who find and make time to develope Amiga OS. I don't think repetition of this should be necessary for a grown man to finally get it to sink in. Again, I find this to be the best years of Amiga going forward. We Amigans now have an indelible place in the computer world with the new Amiga OS platform. It took 4 to 5 years for it to get here and 30 years of on going support. You want the Kindom for a horse - who's going to pull the wagon? You need to get a grip on how much is involved in the engineering, design and development of an OS. Especially from nearly scratch and maintain the Amiga brand - look and feel. So keep on harping brother, you, me and all who have involved ourselves with your post will either get locked or wiped out. Take care, Man!
Take care you too...All of you. I don't have the same belief and hope as you do. I have done my part. It's time to move on, and i have to move on. I wish you all well...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

HKvalhe wrote:Well, it proves what i have said. You have to use a PC for printing and scanning photos. I know it's not possible on the Amiga. I was hoping for that. Seeing that is not likely to happen, it really forces me to go for a PC. Using the Amiga today doesn't feel like the same fun it used to be long ago. A lot has changed and not all neccessary to the better...
Yes, you've said it. I wasn't trying to disprove you but more agreeing with your problem. We all know that there are many limitations to the OS, you're not enlightening us here with some revelation that we've been oblivious to. Most of us however, either try to bridge the gaps, or accept that they're there and not worry about them.

I don't think you really realise just how much work is involved in supporting every cheap all-in-one printer on the market. Most will have their own variations on the protocol, many will have their own custom initialisation code, and a few will have bizarre raster formats. And practically none of them will have publically available developer documentation. Supporting them all would take years, even if Hyperion had a dedicated team of 10 coders 100% devoted to printer support. And once that job was done, every month there'd be a few new models which needed new drivers developed and would obsolete some of that hard work done by the team. And that's without even thinking about the scanner functionality.

Bottom line, your expectations are ridiculous, so it's no wonder you're disappointed.

As I've said to you before, and many other people besides, using AmigaOS is still perfectly possible as a hobby if you're using it for something it can do and not getting massively hung up on what it can't. If you're not enjoying it then it's probably not the hobby for you, but that doesn't mean everyone else can't enjoy it either.

And always remember, just because it doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean the platform is any more dead than it was before regardless of what you say. For your own mental health, it might be best to give it a rest properly and stick to Windows or OS X, instead of hanging around at the periphery, disappointing yourself again and again and again.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Daedalus wrote:
HKvalhe wrote:Well, it proves what i have said. You have to use a PC for printing and scanning photos. I know it's not possible on the Amiga. I was hoping for that. Seeing that is not likely to happen, it really forces me to go for a PC. Using the Amiga today doesn't feel like the same fun it used to be long ago. A lot has changed and not all neccessary to the better...
Yes, you've said it. I wasn't trying to disprove you but more agreeing with your problem. We all know that there are many limitations to the OS, you're not enlightening us here with some revelation that we've been oblivious to. Most of us however, either try to bridge the gaps, or accept that they're there and not worry about them.

I don't think you really realise just how much work is involved in supporting every cheap all-in-one printer on the market. Most will have their own variations on the protocol, many will have their own custom initialisation code, and a few will have bizarre raster formats. And practically none of them will have publically available developer documentation. Supporting them all would take years, even if Hyperion had a dedicated team of 10 coders 100% devoted to printer support. And once that job was done, every month there'd be a few new models which needed new drivers developed and would obsolete some of that hard work done by the team. And that's without even thinking about the scanner functionality.

Bottom line, your expectations are ridiculous, so it's no wonder you're disappointed.

Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic for Amiga users, but realistic for users of computer systems mainly used everywhere today. I can understand it's a lot of pressure and very difficult to incorporate full printer support in the Amiga. But Amiga companies need to ask themselves as well as users what they really want from the Amiga. Do you want the Amiga to remain as a very limited toy, or do you all want to try your best to make the Amiga as useful as possible? It doesn't have to be the main leader in the computer industry, but useful in most areas that you don't have to use another computer platform to do the same job you want to do on the Amiga. That's the whole point, and that's what i have tried to say the whole time. Of course, it's up to the Amiga companies and developers what to do. At least i have "waken up" and i have lost faith and hope in the Amiga. And stating that even full printer support in Amiga never will happen again, only strengthening my good reasons to LEAVE the Amiga, and i think more will happen to realize the same, too.

We are in 2015. A modern era of technology. EVERYTHING is possible if one only tries. Money is not everything. The will to make things possible IS...Again, up to the companies.

As I've said to you before, and many other people besides, using AmigaOS is still perfectly possible as a hobby if you're using it for something it can do and not getting massively hung up on what it can't. If you're not enjoying it then it's probably not the hobby for you, but that doesn't mean everyone else can't enjoy it either.

It still amazes me to see how some of you can tolerate the annoying limitations of the Amiga. Normally, one would be furious and just stop using the Amiga for the limitations. But it is as you say, that for the mental health, using either Mac or PC for all work i need to do, would be for the best, which logically is.

And always remember, just because it doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean the platform is any more dead than it was before regardless of what you say. For your own mental health, it might be best to give it a rest properly and stick to Windows or OS X, instead of hanging around at the periphery, disappointing yourself again and again and again.
I appreciate what you all have said and i know you all mean well, but i've made my mind, and i know what i have said is true as well. Now it's up to all the Amiga companies and developers what to do for the future of the Amiga. I think that goes without saying, but i won't hold my breath anymore.

Thank you everybody and i wish the best for all of you. Take care. I have said enough now...Bless all of you...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway