CD/DVD icon bug (icon still present in WB)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

CD/DVD icon bug (icon still present in WB)

Post by samo79 »

I wonder why sometimes the icon of an automounted CD/DVD still remained in Workbench even if you have already expelled it ...
I was searching for a file in a couple of DVD i have, so first i put a disk, then i remove it and i inserted another disk ... as a result both DVD remained visible ! ..

See grab: http://s10.postimg.org/tuxif9ecp/cd_tray_bug.jpg

I had a similar problem with AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 (if i remember correctly) and at the time i reported it, then apparently it seems fixed ... now i have the same problem again ...
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: CD/DVD icon bug (icon still present in WB)

Post by broadblues »

Usually it's because something has a lock on a file or directory on the CD, so that it can't be unmounted, it is not a bug.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Yep, probably the reason is about somethings locked in background, however technically speaking this is a bug for sure ... if something "bad" happen when you dismount a device the system should "forced" its closure automatically by removing its icon from the desktop .. at least this is the normal behaviour of any other operating system, so i don't know why AmigaOS should manage this differently ...
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Broken behaviour of other operating systems does not an AmigaOS bug make.

If something has a lock on the disk or a file / directory on it then unmounting it will not bode well for that app. This is exactly the same behaviout as you used to get to with floppies. It's certainly not a bug with the OS but may be caused by a bug in some other program not unlocking a file on exit.
chris

Post by chris »

broadblues wrote:Broken behaviour of other operating systems does not an AmigaOS bug make.

If something has a lock on the disk or a file / directory on it then unmounting it will not bode well for that app. This is exactly the same behaviout as you used to get to with floppies.
IIRC if you try to eject a disk with an active lock on it, the OS throws up a big scary warning "You MUST replace volume XXXX in device DF0" (or maybe that's open files, rather than locks).
It's certainly not a bug with the OS but may be caused by a bug in some other program not unlocking a file on exit.
In particular, bitmap.image seems to keep locks on files. I think it's related to the internal caching, but I don't think it should be keeping a lock?