Commodities CX_POPKEY bug

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Commodities CX_POPKEY bug

Post by xenic »

The ContextMenus commodity and the CrossDOS commodity both have the same default CX_POPKEY (ctrl alt c). Only the last one started will respond to the popkey. Could someone confirm and add it to the bugzilla?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Commodities CX_POPKEY bug

Post by tonyw »

I see that in both commodities, the active key can be changed via tooltypes, so it's not a disaster.

However, I'll raise a BZ on both components - let the maintainers sort out the differences.

[edit]
Bugs #9338 and 9339 raised.
[/edit]
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:I see that in both commodities, the active key can be changed via tooltypes, so it's not a disaster.

However, I'll raise a BZ on both components - let the maintainers sort out the differences.

[edit]
Bugs #9338 and 9339 raised.
[/edit]
Thanks. It's a minor issue but some of us just add commodities to WBStartup without changing the tooltypes. It'll be better if they work with the default settings.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

xenic wrote:Only the last one started will respond to the popkey. Could someone confirm and add it to the bugzilla?
Is it not the case that the Commodities system should pass through these key combinations for use by other applications? Or is that down to individual developers' preferences? I know that the default shortcut for SGrab and SMBMounter are both the same (ctrl-alt-S), and pressing it when both are running causes both to pop up, regardless of start order.
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Normally a commodity should "eat" its hotkey. It is bad coding style to let it pass. If you let it pass, it does not only arrive at other commodities, but also at the application which is currently active. This might lead to confusion at best and to unwanted action in the worst case.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Daedalus wrote:
xenic wrote:Only the last one started will respond to the popkey. Could someone confirm and add it to the bugzilla?
Is it not the case that the Commodities system should pass through these key combinations for use by other applications? Or is that down to individual developers' preferences? I know that the default shortcut for SGrab and SMBMounter are both the same (ctrl-alt-S), and pressing it when both are running causes both to pop up, regardless of start order.
I tested with several commodities and only the first one launched pops up when they have the same shortcut. Maybe SMBMounter is accessing the Input device directly or some other method. I'm not sure if having multiple windows open for the same shortcut is a good idea. It would be nice if Exchange would display the shortcut (hotkey) for a commodity when you click on it in the Exchange lister. There's room at the bottom of the Exchange window for at least one more line of text. I'm working on my own commodity and it would be helpful if there was a way to tell what shortcuts are already used other than opening information on each commodity icon.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

thomasrapp wrote:Normally a commodity should "eat" its hotkey. It is bad coding style to let it pass. If you let it pass, it does not only arrive at other commodities, but also at the application which is currently active. This might lead to confusion at best and to unwanted action in the worst case.
Good to know... I always thought commodities passed everything through as they sit in the input stream, in case the key was also used for something else, but it does make sense to swallow the hotkey. I'll have a look at changing that for the next SMBMounter update.