Euro sign missing in 4.1 FE with Swedish ISO-8859-15

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
duga

Euro sign missing in 4.1 FE with Swedish ISO-8859-15

Post by duga »

Having problem producing the euro sign I discovered this thread with some info: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 46&p=16165

Bug report:
Choosing Swedish ISO-8859-15 I cannot produce the euro symbol at all.
Choosing Swedish ISO-8859-1 I can produce some symbol with alt + e that looks like a "circle with four corners" in KeyShow, the same symbol is shown in Shell. In Odyssey it actually produces the eurosymbol: €. If I copy the correct symbol from Odyssey and paste it in Shell the wrong symbol is shown.

Conclusion:
Swedish ISO-8859-15 and Swedish ISO-8859-1 are swapped. "-15" that should produce euro symbol doesn't. "-1" that shouldn't produce euro symbol does, but sometimes shows some other character.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Euro sign missing in 4.1 FE with Swedish ISO-8859-15

Post by nbache »

duga wrote:Swedish ISO-8859-15 and Swedish ISO-8859-1 are swapped.
I think that might be a hasty conclusion.

The euro sign should (probably, at least it is so in the Danish setting) be produced by alt-E, but this also requires that a font containing it (in the right place) is used.

And for the bitmap fonts, this means the system must be led to use one of the font variants which have "_ISO_8859-15" attached to the (numeric) filename. With TrueType or PS fonts, the mechanism is a little different, but amounts to a similar selection.

All of this happens behind the scenes, though, so what you need to make sure is just that your system charset is set correctly.

This is done in Locale prefs by clearing all selected languages and selecting Swedish_ISO-8859-15 (€) as the first language. After this, you can select other languages, but the list will now only contain "pure" language names, since the charset was already set with your first selection. (You should also have an ENV: variable containing the charset name by now, try "Getenv Charset" in a Shell).

Now you can go to Input prefs and select the corresponding keyboard (Swedish ISO-8859-15), after which I would guess it would work corretly.

Please try this and get back here if it doesn't (and also if it does, BTW ;-)).

Best regards,

Niels
duga

Post by duga »

Thanks, you solved it.

The Locale setting was correct (= Swedish ISO-8859-15) the whole time, just as I wrote, but in Input I had chosen (or perhaps never touched) Swedish ISO-8859-1.

Weird that this is set in two different places, but at least it's solved now. Yes, I understand that "Locale" is the language shown on the screen and "Input" is what I'm typing, but I see no reason why you wouldn't want the same suffix on both.

I should, at some point, check what the default settings (after choosing Swedish) are after a clean OS 4.1 FE installation.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

duga wrote:Weird that this is set in two different places, but at least it's solved now. Yes, I understand that "Locale" is the language shown on the screen and "Input" is what I'm typing, but I see no reason why you wouldn't want the same suffix on both.
Many people want to be able to type in a foreign language, but they won't necessarily exchange their (physical) keyboard for one with that language's layout (if they even have one).

Or vice versa, for that matter.
I should, at some point, check what the default settings (after choosing Swedish) are after a clean OS 4.1 FE installation.
Well, the installation cd boots into a menu with, among other things, an item to set your locale and input settings. When you use that, first the Locale prefs and then the Input prefs are opened, allowing you to set what you want. So the default after booting your fresh installation is what you chose there.

If you mean the default *before* choosing anything, then I believe it is (American) English in both prefs. And they have no influence on each other, so Input will have the same default, regardless of what you just chose in Locale.

Best regards,

Niels