Kernel 53.22 problem with SamFlex [SOLVED]

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Spectre660

Re: Kernel 53.22 problem with SamFlex [SOLVED]

Post by Spectre660 »

Great.
So even a slight cooling of the CPU solves the problem.
I wonder if the heat causes timing problem on the PCI bus or ram that result in the lockups due to the enhancements in graphics performance in Update 3.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
DAX

Post by DAX »

@Xenic
It's mounted on the inside and it sucks air outside, it would be good for this fan not to be tooo far from the CPU, in my case I had this side-panel fan which comes with this weird plastic cone, I believe it defines "the area heat is sucked from" a little better. The ending part of the plastic cone, ends up a little more than 2 inches from the top of the CPU heat sink, also helped by the fact that the case isn't super thick.
Considering that before I had the other one just 5 millimeters on top of the CPU I didn't know what to expect, but to my surprise, it works very well. Try a good side fan, they are cheap so there is very little to lose...

@Spectre660
Who knows, I noticed that 2D operations such as emulator's graphics tend to generate a crash more than anything else, I wonder if the sum of all this (including the more demanding kernel, USB2.0 etc.) isn't also calling for some very robust power supply, one with extra power and all the bells and whistles to protect the whole thing.
I wonder if a top one could make a difference even without an extra fan (or more in any case)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I have a 680W power supply . :D
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@SSolie

But i'm not sure that all problems we are talking on this thread are solved, for example here if i copy some big files from my devices to RAM: in order to exceed the amount of my physical memory (that is 1 GB) i get an instant freeze, this using the latest Kernel 53.22 on Update 3

Using instead the old 53.12 (on Update 3 as well) all goes well ..

I have a SamFlex 800 as DAX
DAX

Post by DAX »

@samo79
By the way, have you tryed the same test on your AmigaOne? It the problem applies to all systems we should create another (specific) topic, something like "Memory Paging problem with Kernel 53.22" (taking out the "samFlex" part)
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@DAX

Not yet, i will try this weekend ;)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@DAX, etc
Can you please try disabling Sam440ep_setup (from ACube) and see if you still suffer from freezes when you have no fan?

I am beginning to suspect Sam440ep_setup in my own Update 3 USB issues.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

samo79 wrote:But i'm not sure that all problems we are talking on this thread are solved...
The original complaint has been resolved. If you have further issues you should start a new thread with your specific problem. Hijacking threads is generally a bad move because things will get missed.
ExecSG Team Lead
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@SSolie

You right, i talk about my problem here only because at some point we reach also this argument with DAX, there are no intention to hijacking the thread, aniway as i need to test it again on my A1 i will open a new thread for sure

Your "has been resolved" is a great news aniway :-D
DAX

Post by DAX »

@samo79
Ok : )

@ChrisH
Yes, while I did some initial testing with Sam440SetUP in place (when I first installed on top of my "used" Update2 installation), after that I made not one but 2 clean installs and in both cases I made the tests without it. The system froze again and again regardless.
Later on I installed the Sam440SetUp back, without getting any additional misbehaviours (aside from the regular ones).
After installing some powerful ventilation, the system is now rock-solid and I'm using Sam440SetUp of course.