System Language still English, but set to Norwegian...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Shamron

System Language still English, but set to Norwegian...

Post by Shamron »

Hi.

I've resently tried to reinstall OS4.1FE on my X1000 several times, and both input and locale are set to Norwegian ISO-8859-1, (not 15). Country Norway...

If i start a Shell, it says "Ny shell prosess" which is norwegian, but requesters, system menus, and most places, are still in English. Now, this is not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have it in Norwegian. Just because i can('t?). :-P

Ben.-
thomasrapp

Re: System Language still English, but set to Norwegian...

Post by thomasrapp »

Seems like the Norwegian translation is far from complete:

Code: Select all

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition:System/Locale/Catalogs
3> dir german all
     Sys (dir)
       amidock.catalog                  amidock_dockies.catalog
       amigaguide.catalog               blankers.catalog
       c.catalog                        commodities.catalog
       console.catalog                  countries.catalog
       deficons.catalog                 devs.catalog
       dos.catalog                      find.catalog
       gadgets.catalog                  grimreaper.catalog
       help.catalog                     installer.catalog
       languages.catalog                libs.catalog
       logviewer.catalog                monitors.catalog
       mounter.catalog                  notepad.catalog
       notifications.catalog            prefs.catalog
       prefsobjectseditor.catalog       prepcard.catalog
       rawbinfo.catalog                 screenblanker.catalog
       screenblanker_lib.catalog        system.catalog
       text.catalog                     typemanager.catalog
       uboot.catalog                    unarc.catalog
       usbclasses.catalog               usbhub.catalog
       usbinspector.catalog             usbmassstorage.catalog
       usbprefs.catalog                 usbprinter.catalog
       usbptp.catalog                   usbstack.catalog
       utilities.catalog                workbench.catalog
     Networks (dir)
       ppp-ethernet.catalog             ppp-serial.catalog
     Internet (dir)
       dialer.catalog                   prefs_internet.catalog
  ahi.catalog                      ahiprefs.catalog
  amigs.catalog                    amipdf.catalog
  biosupdater.catalog              bsdsocket.catalog
  contextmenus.translation         filecompare.catalog
  installation_utility.catalog     mediatoolbox.catalog
  partitionwizard.catalog          playcd.catalog
  rawdisk.catalog                  roadshow.catalog
  soundplayer.catalog              usergroup.catalog
AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition:System/Locale/Catalogs
3> dir norwegian all
     Sys (dir)
       countries.catalog                devs.catalog
       dos.catalog                      prefs.catalog
       prepcard.catalog                 system.catalog
  playcd.catalog                   
Shamron

Post by Shamron »

Haha, that explains it :-P

Anything i can do to help, or do they already got a Norwegian translator? :-)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

As far as I know, there is no active Norwegian translator currently.

I (who maintain the Danish translation) made a very minor fix to the Norwegian one several years ago, I don't even remember what it was, but that was due to the fact there wasn't even one back then.

If you're interested, you should get in touch with Costel or Timothy at Hyperion Entertainment.

Best regards,

Niels
Shamron

Post by Shamron »

Thanks for the clearing up and answers. I've mailed Timothy about this, but not yet received an answer.

However, if i want to get a head start in case i DO get a reply, or if i want to make the translation / catalogs in Norwegian for myself, if only for my own usage, what tools do i need? I googled this on another matter some time ago, but seeing my previous struggle with attention and concentration (recently found out i got ADD, so everything's better now) i didn't get to actually begin with something.

Flexcat? Anything else? Or are the OS cataloges off-limit or untouchable (do i need some sources or something) to others than registered translators / developers?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Shamron wrote:what tools do i need? [...] Flexcat? Anything else?
Most system catalogs should be compiled with CatComp. The most recent version is in the SDK. Flexcat is needed for a few of them (don't remember off-hand which ones). In addition it is very useful to check all translated, compiled cataogs with Catcheck, available on Aminet. Once you join as a translator, you will be on a closed mailing list and web forum, where we can guide you further.
Or are the OS cataloges off-limit or untouchable (do i need some sources or something) to others than registered translators / developers?
Yes, you need to be accepted as a translator and be given access to the material, which (most likely) also involves signing an NDA. Your contact to Timothy is a good first step.

Best regards,

Niels
Shamron

Post by Shamron »

@nbcache:

I am very sorry for using this thread for this, but since i started it, i will allow myself to do it. :-)
I tried to pm you about this since i googled the problem and found you ran a similar resolution as i am trying to, but are having issues with.

Here's what i wrote:
I googled ddcmode=all and found a post by you where you say you run 2560x1440 or 1600...

I've ran 3840x2560 before, but i am unable to do that now. I am SURE i used either a dvi-hdmi or hdmi-hdmi cable then, and i have tried the same now, but with no success. i AM able to test 2560x1440 and 3840x2560 (and probably run use them as well, but the picture becomes distorted, or more "squished" horizontally.

I'm using an X1000 with a Radeon R9-270X card on a Samsung U28D590 monitor. I've checked the specs for the monitor and it says
Hfreq=30-134KHz DP and 30-90KHz HDMI
Vfreq=56-75Hz DP and 24-75Hz HDMI

2560x1440 shows 91,75KHz in prefs/screenmode so according to the info, it's outside of the monitors Hmax on HDMI, BUT it worked before! Also i tried using a DP cable, and i got no pic at all. :-P

I've asked in the fb group commodore amiga here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Commodo ... 4306844116

If you can't see the link, here's a direct pic... http://i.imgur.com/9y6OUKK.jpg

but people keep saying it's a cable issue, although the same resolution works flawlessly on my pc both with dvi-hdmi and hdmi-hdmi.

I've messed with both screenmode settings and the tooltypes in devs/monitors/Radeon HD Series.info

Do you have any idea to what i can try? I've tried Displayport, but with that, i didnt get any picture at all beyond the first boot screen. No Amigaos4.1FE splash screen or anything. Just the first screen, where it asks to boot, reinstall, Linux and so on...

I've registered the RadeonHD 2 driver on Amistore.

Let me know if you cant see the post on facebook...

For some reason i cant post in the X1000 thread. :-P
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I don't use FB.

I also never check PMs on public boards, it's a hassle to have to keep up with more links of communication than necessary. Anyway, it doesn't look like there are any messages for me here.

If you want to contact me privately, you can mail me e.g. on niels (at) nbache (dot) dk.

Anyway, you definitely need a Dual Link DVI connection, which requires both a Dual Link DVI cable of good quality, not overly long, and Dual Link DVI connectors at both ends - I expect those are present.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the HDMI connection to be (well) supported in the Amiga driver (although I'm not sure), and definitely not the DisplayPort.

Your picture looks like there's an issue with the endianness of the display mode. I'm not sure how that can happen, we probably need somebody closer to the graphics code for that (ideally Hans, I suppose).

But first of all, try setting up a decent Dual Link DVI connection and see if that will work for you.

Best regards,

Niels

BTW, you might want to start a new thread in here with a title reflecting what we're discussing, that will be better at catching the eye of somebody more knowledgable. And since this isn't really tied to the X1000 specifically, it can just as well live here in General AmigaOS.

Edit: Ah, now I saw the thread on Amigans.net again, which I remembered having read quickly through, and you already have the attention of Hans there. Definitely good advice about the cable. My comments about endianness above are probably nonsense.
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

I agree that there is a huge need to see a fully completed Norwegian AmigaOS4 in use, just like seeing many other languages not being fully completed, and i'm not surprised that this is far from completed. Actually, what is true is that AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition itself is incomplete. It's obvious that AmigaOS4 will need a hell of a lot of work still to become fully completed. It's not going to be easy, but it will be neccessary...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio