Smartfilesystem v 1.293 ?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
saimo

Re: Smartfilesystem v 1.293 ?

Post by saimo »

nubechecorre wrote:@Saimo

I tell you this because maybe you don't know but there is a light version of Enancher Software that you can buy, if you are not interested in Warp3D Nova etc etc.. I did so for my setup :)
Thank you. I did know, but I'm interested only in SFS.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

saimo wrote:

I tell you this because maybe you don't know but there is a light version of Enancher Software that you can buy, if you are not interested in Warp3D Nova etc etc.. I did so for my setup :)
That is the "problem" with those "packages"...either you buy the whole lot and never install and use most of the stuff in it, or you simply leave it, not really another option
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
saimo

Post by saimo »

Raziel wrote:
saimo wrote:

That is the "problem" with those "packages"...either you buy the whole lot and never install and use most of the stuff in it, or you simply leave it, not really another option
Yep, that's why I'm kindly asking to consider selling SFS alone. I think it's especially reasonable for a low-level core component that is an official part of the OS.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

SFS will be ruled out as an "official part of the OS" anyway.

It was sold to A-Eon, as such is developed further by them and won't be maintained by the OS4 devs anymore...they already have a new "default" FS in the queue (NGFileSystem) which for the moment only betatester and, i think, X5000 users have access to.

I hope that it will bring modern features to the Amiga so you can drop SFS (completely?)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
saimo

Post by saimo »

Raziel wrote:SFS will be ruled out as an "official part of the OS" anyway.

It was sold to A-Eon, as such is developed further by them and won't be maintained by the OS4 devs anymore...
I understand that this situation derives from the ownership fragmentation of the OS components, the difficulty of carrying on with the development, and the (commendable) willingness of developers and A-EON to move forward. That said, in this particular case the timing was really bad: IIRC, since the FE PartitionWizard doesn't see the SFS partitions anymore, so there is no way to fix or recover data from those partitions (I have a faint memory of having read that this was a consequence of changes in SFS, that's why I'm talking about SFS; if that is wrong, then I'm strictly interested in PartitionWizard only). This is quite a delicate thing, as we're not talking of some minor graphical glitch, or some replaceable third-party tool.
As a user and customer, I'm disappointed that Update 1 didn't fix that because the newer version has been acquired by a different company, which on top of that, is selling those core components exclusively in a bundle that includes stuff I don't have a use for. In general, I find that offering also the possibility of purchasing separately the components that once were part of the OS would be the right way to handle the situation, as a fair compromise between the commercial side and the customer side.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@saimo

You could of course just stick with the SFS version which OS4 supports, until NGFS is generally available.

Best regards,

Niels
saimo

Post by saimo »

nbache wrote:You could of course just stick with the SFS version which OS4 supports,
That's what I'm forced to do, and doesn't solve the issues that I mentioned earlier.
until NGFS is generally available.
I'm wary of brand-new filesystems developed and tested by a reduced number of people during a relatively short time span (and JXFS proves I'm not being paranoid ;))
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@saimo

Why do you think they first released single programs, which they sold and then produced a package, with those single programs inside, and sold it again?

They need to produce income, people who only cherry pick what they need don't produce that kind of income as we would be talking 1 digit euro prices then.

Granted, you'll get a discount if you bought single programs from that package before, but in reality they wouldn't sell as much copies if they would let people pick single programs. (I, for one, waited months before deciding to get me the Enhancer package, still haven't installed it, no pressing software on it)

wrt to PartitionWizard...i haven't had this program on my X1 from day 1 as it was unusable due to unsupported hardware (X1K, pretty lame if you ask me).
I don't even have it installed anymore, they took it out of the system completely, funny thing is, it's still an entry in the "ContextMenus" program.

Never bothered with it again and i don't think it will magically reappear anytime soon, especially not with a new sfs version.

I'll have to wait for NGFileSystem, as others do
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
saimo

Post by saimo »

Raziel wrote:@saimo

Why do you think they first released single programs, which they sold and then produced a package, with those single programs inside, and sold it again?
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I never mentioned anything like this.
They need to produce income, people who only cherry pick what they need don't produce that kind of income as we would be talking 1 digit euro prices then.

Granted, you'll get a discount if you bought single programs from that package before, but in reality they wouldn't sell as much copies if they would let people pick single programs. (I, for one, waited months before deciding to get me the Enhancer package, still haven't installed it, no pressing software on it)
We're going way OT here, so I'll keep it very short. If the strategy is to force customers to pay for stuff they otherwise would not buy, then I simply can't agree. There are other profitable ways to sell software.
wrt to PartitionWizard...i haven't had this program on my X1 from day 1 as it was unusable due to unsupported hardware (X1K, pretty lame if you ask me).

I don't even have it installed anymore, they took it out of the system completely, funny thing is, it's still an entry in the "ContextMenus" program.

Never bothered with it again and i don't think it will magically reappear anytime soon, especially not with a new sfs version.
In the past (including the AOS 3.x days) it helped me fix partitions and/or recover data. Not having any tool to do that is not a good thing. And having had it as part of the OS and seeing it moved to a third-party bundle is not nice.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

saimo wrote:
Raziel wrote: wrt to PartitionWizard...i haven't had this program on my X1 from day 1 as it was unusable due to unsupported hardware (X1K, pretty lame if you ask me).

In the past (including the AOS 3.x days) it helped me fix partitions and/or recover data. Not having any tool to do that is not a good thing. And having had it as part of the OS and seeing it moved to a third-party bundle is not nice.
I've had this discussion before...the answer to me was "you don't have to buy it then"
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg