Smartfilesystem v 1.293 ?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Shamron

Smartfilesystem v 1.293 ?

Post by Shamron »

Hi everyone.

Actual question:
I just read on this page http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=SmartFileSystem that the current sfs is version 1.293, but i just ran AmiUpdate and the highest version i got is 1.290.

How is this? Is it a special version, or will updates to the filesystems be paid updates?

Additional question if you got time:
I've tried to partition and format both a SD and a CF card on both my A1200 with OS3.9 and on my X1000 with OS4.1FE to move files between them, but no matter where i start, as soon as i insert it in the other computer, i get "unreadable" (can't remember exactly atm, but disk needs formatting). And if i format it, as soon as i insert it into the first computer again, i get "unreadable".

I've tried with both sfs 1.277 and 1.279 on the A1200. On the X1000, i guess it defaults to 1.290.

I've asked a similar question before, if i could use the 68k 1.277 version from the A1200 on the X1000, but i can't mix up the identifiers (53465300 for sfs/00) so should i just give it a new identifier, not used on the X1000, like 53465302? and do the same on the A1200?

I gave up eventually and made Dos/03 partitions, but its slow and takes a long time to load, i suspect it's validating, hehe.

A hug to anyone who can answer this. :-)
Raziel

Re: Smartfilesystem v 1.293 ?

Post by Raziel »

I have 1.290 too, that one came with AmigaOS4

There is an updated SFS in the commercial (pay for it) Enhancer package, but i don't know which version it has (and what could be new/fixed)

wrt "unreadable"

You need to make sure to "prepare" the cards with the same tool on both systems (i.e. HDToolBox, MediaToolBox...there are more though)

Don't mix the tools (which may be hard if you don't have the same OS on both machines)
iirc there is at least one tool,i think it was from the 3.5/3.9 era, that does the geometry calculation in another way than the others which leads to it being not recognized on those systems...or so i remember, might be wrong.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

SFS is no longer supported by AmigaOS4. Versions later than 1.290 can be obtained from Joerg's site directly or purchased from AmiStore.

The easiest way to interchange files between old and new machines is to use FAT32.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote:SFS is no longer supported by AmigaOS4. Versions later than 1.290 can be obtained from Joerg's site directly or purchased from AmiStore.

The easiest way to interchange files between old and new machines is to use FAT32.
It's no longer supported? Like JXFS?

Wow, i missed that news item, why is that?

What *is* the de facto standard FS on AmigaOS4 nowadays then, FFS(2)?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

tonyw wrote: The easiest way to interchange files between old and new machines is to use FAT32.
This way the protection bits are removed, better use FFS (or SFS - the old version is working very nice).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:It's no longer supported? Like JXFS?
My understanding:

I believe the term "not supported by" can be misunderstood. It's not like SFS isn't working with OS4 (at least it does on my machines) and - probably - will keep doing so, it's just that it is no longer maintained and beta-tested as a part of what is delivered as OS4.x, so whether it keeps working with OS4 is now the responsibility of a third party, not Hyperion.

Again, this is my personal interpretation of the situation.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

ZeroG wrote:
tonyw wrote:The easiest way to interchange files between old and new machines is to use FAT32.
This way the protection bits are removed
You can avoid that by LhA'ing (or zipping) the files before moving them to FAT32.

Best regards,

Niels
amigakit
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by amigakit »

Hello

I can confirm that v1.293 is the latest new version available on the Enhancer Software. It is currently maintained and fully licenced exclusively to users who have the Enhancer Software. The sales from the package contribute to the ongoing development costs of SmartFileSystem and various other software from Joerg.
Versions later than 1.290 can be obtained from Joerg's site directly
I am afraid not, they are only available on the Enhancer Software.
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

amigakit wrote:Hello

I can confirm that v1.293 is the latest new version available on the Enhancer Software. It is currently maintained and fully licenced exclusively to users who have the Enhancer Software. The sales from the package contribute to the ongoing development costs of SmartFileSystem and various other software from Joerg.
Can we have a changelog or at least a list of things that has been fixed/changed/added, please?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Isn't A-EON owning the rights for the latest SFS? There is also SFS2, which should not be mistaken. Latest versions can be found in that Workbench Enhancer Pack from A-EON...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio