Block size revisited

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Gregor

Re: Block size revisited

Post by Gregor »

daveyw wrote:
tonyw wrote:the 4 KiB blocks should also be aligned to 4 kiB boundaries.
Can you elaborate on what this means?
There are also in this Forum two earlier threads about this matter: "SSD Hard disks and AmigaOS" (in General AmigaOS) and "SSD Trim support" (in Amiga OS feature Requests). You can find in them a lot of useful information...

Regards,

Gregor
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Gregor wrote:
daveyw wrote:
tonyw wrote:the 4 KiB blocks should also be aligned to 4 kiB boundaries.
Can you elaborate on what this means?
There are also in this Forum two earlier threads about this matter: "SSD Hard disks and AmigaOS" (in General AmigaOS) and "SSD Trim support" (in Amiga OS feature Requests). You can find in them a lot of useful information...

Regards,

Gregor
Umm, no. Not really helpful at all. What's needed is step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this. General statements like
thomasrapp wrote:Change geometry so that one cylinder is 1 MB (2048 blocks). Then partitions will be aligned automatically. Do not use 1008 or 2016 blocks per cylinder.
With no instructions on how to do it are not helpful to users such as myself.

I'm really none of wiser for reading any of this. All I know is that SSDs (and probably also modern HDDs, given the problems I'm experiencing) need to have *something* special done with them during prep. What that something is and how you do is is another wonderful Amiga undocumented feature.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

You don't NEED to do anything, any SSD will "just work" when connected to a SATA controller and device driver.

Improved long-term performance can be gained by redefining disk geometry using MTB in "Expert" mode. The currently released versions of MTB and device drivers do not make this easy, so I would advise to leave it alone. As I said, it will "just work" without any special work.
cheers
tony