Shell/Console iconification bug

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Shell/Console iconification bug

Post by xenic »

If the user moves, renames or deletes the shell icon in SYS:System, a shell/console will crash if you iconify it. If you ignore the DSI in grim reaper the system continues but the the shell is apprently left in an iconified state with no way to reopen it.

In several personal reaction programs I've written; when IIcon->GetDiskObject() fails to find the program icon then calling IIntuition->IDoMethod(winObj, WM_ICONIFY, NULL) will use the a default icon (def_window). Apparently, shell/console windows are being iconified in a way that doesn't automatically supply a default icon and the shell/console code may need to manually check for the presence of the desired icon and use the default icon (def_window) if it's not found.

It's unlikely that a user might move, rename or delete the shell icon in SYS:System but potential crashes should be avoided and fixed.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Shell/Console iconification bug

Post by tonyw »

You are quite right and I am ashamed that this bug exists. I went to some trouble to prevent it in the case of the Console Prefs utility, but for some reason did not copy the code into the console.

Ah well...
cheers
tony
Raziel

Re: Shell/Console iconification bug

Post by Raziel »

Soooo...this bug fixed and up for the next update yet? :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg