Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

Re: Soft reboot hangs on FE upd 1

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
broadblues wrote:Yes, you do have to copy that file over by hand if you are not using a FFS SYS: (Which most people atren't)
I'm not sure you got my point. If you have the default setting in your boot command like "boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of" then your system will still boot from the old amigaboot.of in BDH0: even if you have the update1 amigaboot.of installed on an FFS boot partition. Unless you have changed "ide0.0" to " ide0.1" in your boot command like MichaelMerkel suggested, then having a new amigaboot.of on an FFS Amiga boot partition will do nothing and you need to copy it to BDH0: for it to be used.
The "problem" i see is that *if* there is an updated version of the boot.of file which does fix some serious bug *or* introduce new features, then no one who has the boot.of file on the hidden first FFS partition will be able to use these...unless they are updating it manually.

I think that is the point xenic is trying to make clear...having updates to the boot.of but no automatic installing of them to the right place is probably not ideal...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:
broadblues wrote:Yes, you do have to copy that file over by hand if you are not using a FFS SYS: (Which most people atren't)
I'm not sure you got my point. If you have the default setting in your boot command like "boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of" then your system will still boot from the old amigaboot.of in BDH0: even if you have the update1 amigaboot.of installed on an FFS boot partition.
Well the assumption is that if you are using FFS for sys you don't have seperate BHD0: so the amigaboot.of would ne in the first FFS partition.

But basically leave it as standard BHD0: an use a decent filesystem for SYS: if you want an easy life. The installer can't copy the amigaboot.of to it final destination autmatically because it can't know what it is (no way to tell the geometry of disk at the filesystem level and second guessing the CFE vars is fraighty with headaches I'm sure!).

Unless you have changed "ide0.0" to " ide0.1" in your boot command like MichaelMerkel suggested, then having a new amigaboot.of on an FFS Amiga boot partition will do nothing and you need to copy it to BDH0: for it to be used.[
Errm no, assuming the docs are right, that second value does *not* represent the partition but the disk.
SATA and IDE (PATA) hard drives are usually called "ideM.N:", where "M" is the controller number and "N" is the disk
number. Sometimes, you can add a comma followed by a partition name or number afterwards. For example, "ide0.0,dh0:"
would access partition "dh0:" on an AmigaOS disk on the X1000s SATA 0 port.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

The installer can't copy the amigaboot.of to it final destination autmatically because it can't know what it is (no way to tell the geometry of disk at the filesystem level and second guessing the CFE vars is fraighty with headaches I'm sure!).
Then it would be at least a good idea to put a big fat reminder in the next installation process that tells the user that boot.of has to be updated/moved manually...i think :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: Errm no, assuming the docs are right, that second value does *not* represent the partition but the disk.
You're probably right about that but CFE is still going to look for amigaboot.of on the first FFS partition which would be BDH0: on most X1000 systems. The installer could have done something like this:

Code: Select all

; Script
if NOT exists BDH0: NOREQ
	mounter Device=sb600sata.device UNIT=0 PARTITIONS=BDH0 QUIET
endif
if Exists BDH0: NOREQ
	if exists BDH0:amigaboot.of
		Rename BDH0:amigaboot.of BDH0:amigaboot.of-bak
	endif
	Copy <install directory>/amigaboot.of TO BDH0: QUIET
else
	echo "BDH0: not found" ;or somehow notify user
endif
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Wouldn't work here - mine's called BOOT:

Point being - it's far too risky to make assumptions about where to find the amigaboot.of and try to overwrite it. (It's not the first time such an idea has come up, BTW.)

But instructions for the users to do it themselves would probably be a useful addition next time.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:Wouldn't work here - mine's called BOOT:

Point being - it's far too risky to make assumptions about where to find the amigaboot.of and try to overwrite it. (It's not the first time such an idea has come up, BTW.)

But instructions for the users to do it themselves would probably be a useful addition next time.

Best regards,

Niels
I think all the complete X1000 systems sold by AmigaKit had the BDH0: partition. I think it's a case where the installation and naming of the small FFS partition should have been standard; with the possible exception of beta testers who have special debugging needs etc. It's too late for that now and you are probably right; inform the user in the installer, readme file and changelog.

I just read a report in the X1000 forum that holding both mouse buttons down during a reboot no longer brings up the early startup window/menu. I never noticed the problem because I hadn't copied the amigaboot.of file from my System partition (where update1 installed it) to the BDH0: partition (small FFS partition you labeled BOOT). When I copied amigaboot.of to my BDH0: partition, I now have the same problem; pressing and holding both mouse buttons during a reboot no longer brings up the early boot window. Thankfully, the keyboard "Scroll Lock" key still works.

After waiting 2 years for an update/bugfix, it's hard to believe that no beta testers ever tried to access the early boot window by holding down both mouse buttons. Is it possible that beta testers added amigaboot.of to their system partitions but were actually booting with the old amigaboot.of on a BDH0: or BOOT: partition?
xenic

Post by xenic »

blmara wrote:Hi,

using AmigaOne X1000. After updating to AOS4.1 FE update 1, normal hard boot works as it should. When doing a soft reboot (CTRL-Alt-AltGR or shell command Reboot fast) the booting hangs when showing the final AmigaOS 4.1 logo. Tried taking out everything in WBStartup and even commenting out User-Startup and Network-Startup lines in Startup-Sequence, no change. When doing a hard reset with the Reset button of X1000, boots normally. Any ideas?

Marko R.
Seems like we went way off topic here. Did you resolve your soft reboot problem??
blmara

Post by blmara »

xenic wrote:
blmara wrote:Hi,

using AmigaOne X1000. After updating to AOS4.1 FE update 1, normal hard boot works as it should. When doing a soft reboot (CTRL-Alt-AltGR or shell command Reboot fast) the booting hangs when showing the final AmigaOS 4.1 logo. Tried taking out everything in WBStartup and even commenting out User-Startup and Network-Startup lines in Startup-Sequence, no change. When doing a hard reset with the Reset button of X1000, boots normally. Any ideas?

Marko R.
Seems like we went way off topic here. Did you resolve your soft reboot problem??
No, still have the problem. Currently I have no serial connection but I'll do some work with Startup-sequence to find out what does not work.

Marko
Marko
xenic

Post by xenic »

blmara wrote: No, still have the problem. Currently I have no serial connection but I'll do some work with Startup-sequence to find out what does not work.
You could also try cold booting from your OS4.1FE CD to see if a soft reboot still works without update1. Warm reboot from the CD might be slow but it should work.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

Did you have any extra usb device connected during your soft reboot (other than keyboard and mouse)?

Regards,