Wireless N Adapters...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific

Wireless N Adapters...

Postby Belxjander » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am

If anyone is looking around ...

"iogear.com"(USA) actually have a decent "Wireless Adapter" listing that work very well...
I've purchased 2 adapters from them and only required a USB + Ethernet port pair...

and the USB port is just to power the adapter.

basically they allow for *transparent* Wireless networking once it is setup.

"static IP" in the 192.168.1.x range (x can be anything no 252 which is the device)
Netmask = 255.255.255.0

Goto the device address in a web browser... and set it up for your wifi.

once the wifi is setup... you can then switch to your regular LAN settings and ignore any special wireles setup after that.

the IP and LAN settings as well as wireless settings on the device can be changed to not interfere with local networking.

I'm using one of these as a Wireless router upstream link to bridge two Wireles networks and connect my sam440 into the same wireless setup to write this :)
Belxjander

Re: Wireless N Adapters...

Postby OldAmigan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Yes, I bought couple of mini wireless b/g/n adaptors, very similar to yours, usb for power and ethernet connection. They work really well.
I got mine from ebay (UK) but I think they were posted from China.
OldAmigan

Postby Belxjander » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 am

@OldAmigan: I purchased 2 (different models) from IOgear in the US, had to wait "another two weeks" for them to show up and like your ebay units...

Power from USB (one is micro-USB the same as android, and the other is different).

Plug into ethernet, use "static 192.168.1.x(=Not 252)" as machine address, use a web owser to configure and save wireless settings, then enjoy transparent wireless connectivity.

But I managed to get lucky in that one of the two units I bought let me reset e LAN settings f it as well.
so I use that one on the same 440 with the same static network setup.
I just redirect my browser without wifi settings being changed and can check the wifi immediately :-)
Belxjander

Postby xenic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:35 pm

@Belxjander
I use a Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter. It has a builtin DHCP server and browser accesible settings. It also has a USB plug for power so it powers up when my computer powers up. I just checked DHCP in my Internet settings, opened the adapter settings window with Odyssey and entered my router connection settings. The undocumented catch is that once the settings are made, a reboot is necessary to access the internet. The WNCE2001 has been replaced by the WNCE3001 (which has more WIFI bands) but I like the old model better.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Postby Belxjander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm

@Xenic: well the IOgear model I use withhe sam440 resets itself on settings being updated only for LAN settings otherwise can become *immediately* usable for wireless networking, no reset required at all.

so I think I lucked out there especially with the way I now have improved networking here
Belxjander

Return to General AmigaOS