Wireless N Adapters...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Belxjander

Wireless N Adapters...

Post by Belxjander »

If anyone is looking around ...

"iogear.com"(USA) actually have a decent "Wireless Adapter" listing that work very well...
I've purchased 2 adapters from them and only required a USB + Ethernet port pair...

and the USB port is just to power the adapter.

basically they allow for *transparent* Wireless networking once it is setup.

"static IP" in the 192.168.1.x range (x can be anything no 252 which is the device)
Netmask = 255.255.255.0

Goto the device address in a web browser... and set it up for your wifi.

once the wifi is setup... you can then switch to your regular LAN settings and ignore any special wireles setup after that.

the IP and LAN settings as well as wireless settings on the device can be changed to not interfere with local networking.

I'm using one of these as a Wireless router upstream link to bridge two Wireles networks and connect my sam440 into the same wireless setup to write this :)
OldAmigan

Re: Wireless N Adapters...

Post by OldAmigan »

Yes, I bought couple of mini wireless b/g/n adaptors, very similar to yours, usb for power and ethernet connection. They work really well.
I got mine from ebay (UK) but I think they were posted from China.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

@OldAmigan: I purchased 2 (different models) from IOgear in the US, had to wait "another two weeks" for them to show up and like your ebay units...

Power from USB (one is micro-USB the same as android, and the other is different).

Plug into ethernet, use "static 192.168.1.x(=Not 252)" as machine address, use a web owser to configure and save wireless settings, then enjoy transparent wireless connectivity.

But I managed to get lucky in that one of the two units I bought let me reset e LAN settings f it as well.
so I use that one on the same 440 with the same static network setup.
I just redirect my browser without wifi settings being changed and can check the wifi immediately :-)
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Belxjander
I use a Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter. It has a builtin DHCP server and browser accesible settings. It also has a USB plug for power so it powers up when my computer powers up. I just checked DHCP in my Internet settings, opened the adapter settings window with Odyssey and entered my router connection settings. The undocumented catch is that once the settings are made, a reboot is necessary to access the internet. The WNCE2001 has been replaced by the WNCE3001 (which has more WIFI bands) but I like the old model better.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

@Xenic: well the IOgear model I use withhe sam440 resets itself on settings being updated only for LAN settings otherwise can become *immediately* usable for wireless networking, no reset required at all.

so I think I lucked out there especially with the way I now have improved networking here
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I just tried the WNCE2001 that came yesterday. Since this thread talks about using it with Odyssey, I tried the OS4.1fe side of my X5000 first, but didn't do something or other right. The DHCP thing in Prefs/Internet stayed ghosted.

I decided to go ahead and tried the Ubuntu and wonder of wonders, after a couple of setbacks, it seems to be working now. We'll see if this actually posts from Mozilla Firefox.

It would be nice to get it working on the Amiga side too. Would the statistics from the Ubuntu set-up be of any value?
IP 192.168.1.12
Netmask 255.255.255.0 (surprise! :) )
default gateway, DHCP server, DNS server all 192.168.1.1
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@kilaueabart:

If you want to use DHCP under AmigaOS, in Internet Prefs you have to set the checkbox "Try dynamic configuration (DHCP)" on. (You probably also want to set the other checkbox (further up on the page) to off, so as not to mix methods.)

You can enter a hostname if you like, but it shouldn't matter.

Anyway, personally I have all my Amigas set to fixed IP addresses in my LAN (i.e. I don't use DHCP), I find things often work better that way. So now that you know the IP address you were given under Ubuntu, you could probably just enter that in the static configuration under AmigaOS as well.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

@nbache

After considerable difficulty getting back on line the next day (today) I seem to have an "auto ethernet" which survived a reboot. It seems to have a different IP address, although IPv4 wasn't mentioned in the data I got yesterday.
autoethernet.png
I'm about to reboot from Ubuntu into Amiga and see what happens.

I went to Amiga. Maybe I just don't know how to use Prefs. It insisted I pick a device driver, and listed a bunch of mysterious options. I figured I didn't want anything PPP so I tried the others one by one. At one point the DHCP thing got unghosted, so I checked it and unchecked Static IP. When I saved, it asked me, as it had for each of my device driver guesses, whether I wanted it to do something, and again I said yes. This time, instead of telling me it couldn't make a connection, it was "Waiting for network to shut down ..." I don't know how long it would have waited, but I'm two weeks short of 83 and don't have that much time to wait, so I rebooted to Ubuntu and was much relieved to see that "Auto Ethernet" remained valid.

I don't have any other Amigas in a LAN. I will probably go back to connecting the X5000 to a router along with my Raspberry Pi 3 (necessary for printing on my HP Officejet Pro 8710 from Ubuntu, although the Amiga side prints by itself). Would fixed IP addresses work in that situation?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:@nbache

After considerable difficulty getting back on line the next day (today) I seem to have an "auto ethernet" which survived a reboot. It seems to have a different IP address, although IPv4 wasn't mentioned in the data I got yesterday.
When you use DHCP, the router or DHCP server decides which IP it wants you to have, so it can differ (within the ranges set up for DHCP on the server). IPv4 is the only one supported in AmigaOS, so just stick with that. If it hadn't been v4, it would have been a much longer string of numbers (hex numbers) than the four you got.

I went to Amiga. Maybe I just don't know how to use Prefs. It insisted I pick a device driver, and listed a bunch of mysterious options.
You should pick the driver matching you network card or hardware. For instance, I have a network card with the RTL8169 chipset, so I picked "DEVS:Networks/rtl8169.device". The type is Ethernet, and the unit most likely 0 (zero). The name at the top is what you want it to be, your choice.
I figured I didn't want anything PPP so I tried the others one by one. At one point the DHCP thing got unghosted, so I checked it and unchecked Static IP. When I saved, it asked me, as it had for each of my device driver guesses, whether I wanted it to do something,
Probably something like restarting the network?
and again I said yes. This time, instead of telling me it couldn't make a connection, it was "Waiting for network to shut down ..." I don't know how long it would have waited, but I'm two weeks short of 83 and don't have that much time to wait, so I rebooted to Ubuntu and was much relieved to see that "Auto Ethernet" remained valid.
It can sometimes be difficult to make the network restart automatically. What I usually do after changing anything in Internet prefs is say no to the restart, save the prefs and reboot AmigaOS.
I don't have any other Amigas in a LAN. I will probably go back to connecting the X5000 to a router along with my Raspberry Pi 3 (necessary for printing on my HP Officejet Pro 8710 from Ubuntu, although the Amiga side prints by itself). Would fixed IP addresses work in that situation?
Fixed addresses should normally work, if you choose an address which is not already in use on another machine in the LAN, and which the DHCP server will allow you to use. But you can also use DHCP for your X5000 and only use a fixed address on the print server (RPi), if you prefer. You will probably have to check and maybe setup ranges for fixed vs DHCP IP addresses in your router's DHCP server user interface.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

kilaueabart wrote:I will probably go back to connecting the X5000
I've used a WNCE2001 for years on a SAM Flex, X1000 and now X5000. I've always used USB to power it but the X5000 turns the USB power on and off several times during a cold boot and the WNCE2001 occasionally fails to connect. The WNCE2001 has also lost it's settings twice since I started using it on my X5000. My point is that you may get more connection reliability with an X5000 by using the mains wall plug to power the WNCE2001 instead of the USB connector.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE