Screen promotion?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific

Screen promotion?

Postby esc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am

Hey guys,

Excuse noobish questions, new OS4 user here :)

I like the idea of being able to run classic 68k programs in OS4 without having to boot UAE, especially since I can't get bsdsocket networking to work in UAE. I'd like to use a telnet program, DCTelnet. The problem is that when I try to open the program it complains about "Screen failed to open."

Presumably this is because it is trying to open a native screen, not an RTG screen. I am under the impression the "Screens" application may be helpful here, but I can't find it documented anywhere.

Again, running in UAE is not an option - this needs a network stack, which doesn't work in UAE.

So my questions are,
1 - Can I promote a screen and use this?
2 - Is 'Screens' the correct way?
3 - ...how would I do that? :)
and...for fun,
4 - Anyone get a network stack working in UAE?
esc

Re: Screen promotion?

Postby trixie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:31 am

@esc

Do you have the FAKENATIVEMODES=YES tooltype set in your monitor driver's icon in SYS:Devs/Monitors?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon R5 230 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Postby Elwood » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:03 pm

esc wrote:Hey guys,

Hi, greetings from France :-)

esc wrote:1 - Can I promote a screen and use this?
2 - Is 'Screens' the correct way?
3 - ...how would I do that? :)
and...for fun,
4 - Anyone get a network stack working in UAE?

1 - yes. It's what "screens" is for
2 - yes
3 - "screens" work with the screen name, set a screen with a pattern like "#?" (i.e. everything) and set all the settings you want like the screenmode to use. I often use Topaz/8.
Save the settings and open DCtelnet. Then you can refine your settings clicking on "insert open screen". So that you can define a setting for a precise screen name instead of #?
4 - :-(

BTW, you have an integrated help system. Just enable it in the Settings menu, Show hints.
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
Sam460 owner
AmigaOS 4 betatester
Elwood
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Postby esc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'm at work but I can't wait to go look at this when I get home.
esc

Postby broadblues » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 am

Some important caveats to Elwoods advice.

Screen only operates on public screens, if the app uses a custom screen you are out of luck. Although there are still 3rd party mode promotion options.

I'm not sure that plain '#?' makes sense when there is a '<default>' option, but 'Name#?' does make sense for all screens belonging to a specific app that might have multiple instances on seperate screens.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Postby smf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:05 am

About Dctelnet:

Did you reuse some old installation with a predefined screenmode?
I just installed it (and the required reqtools.library) and on the first launch it asked me for what screenmode i wanted to use and then it just opened that screen.

I have some beta components on this machine but my guess is that dctelnet should work on any installation :)
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby esc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for all the help! I got it to work. I had to remove a prefs file which was configured to use a native screenmode. A lot of running around to figure this one out :/ But I appreciate everybody's help!
esc

Return to General AmigaOS