Fontconfig_cache empty

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

Fontconfig_cache empty

Post by daveyw »

Hi,

I recently installed a new font on my OS4.1 system, which envitably caused a problem with Fontconfig_cache such that every time Odyssey is started is scans the fonts. On the X5000 this is so fast now that I didn't worry about it.

However, now I have come to fix the problem using the process outlined in the Timberwolf docs:

Code: Select all

Workbench:> cd fonts:fontconfig/fontconfig_cache 
Workbench:Fonts/fontconfig/fontconfig_cache> delete #? 
Workbench:Fonts/fontconfig/fontconfig_cache> fc-cache -s -f
However, this doesn't seem to work anymore. fontconfig_cache is empty and remains so even after running fc-cache.

I get a whole lot of errors:

Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 102: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 102: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 24: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 24: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 41: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 41: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 50: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 50: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 23: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 23: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 39: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 39: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 55: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "fonts:fontconfig/etc/fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 55: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Any idea what this is and how I fix it? I think it has some connection to SMTube. I get the same error whenever I start it.

On a side note, am I the only one who seems to face these sort of problems whenever I install a new font? It always seems problematic.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Fontconfig_cache empty

Post by nbache »

daveyw wrote:Hi,

I recently installed a new font on my OS4.1 system,
[...]

[...]
How did you install the font? I always do it with TypeManager (in the System folder). It also provides a number of windows to investigate the detailed setup of the font. Does it tell you anything is wrong with the family spec of the font, if you investigate it?

It might also be able to fix it, if there is in fact a problem. I don't think I've ever seen a font myself which had that problem.

Best regards,

Niels
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

nbache wrote:How did you install the font? I always do it with TypeManager (in the System folder). It also provides a number of windows to investigate the detailed setup of the font. Does it tell you anything is wrong with the family spec of the font, if you investigate it?

It might also be able to fix it, if there is in fact a problem. I don't think I've ever seen a font myself which had that problem.

Best regards,

Niels
Yes, I used TypeManager. It gave no indications of a problem with the font.

This was the font: https://www.wfonts.com/download/data/20 ... grande.zip
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

However, now I have come to fix the problem using the process outlined in the Timberwolf docs:
OK so lets stop right here. Odyssey is not using the same font-cache as Timeberwolf.

Go to Odyssey directory and look for the directory Conf/font/ in it you will two files with long filenames made from a random seeming sequence of letters and numbers,

Delete them both and run odyssey again.

The new cache file will be recreated.

This will need doing every time you add a font.

There some kind of bug in odyssey wrt to removing the cache file, somethng related to filename length I think.
Last edited by broadblues on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

On a side note, am I the only one who seems to face these sort of problems whenever I install a new font? It always seems problematic.
It's problematic because people keep insisting on using the alien fontcache mechanism rather than the AmigaOS 4 font system. THus it's not updated after every font update by TypeManager, it further a problem as there are multiple versions of fontcache wondering arround...
I get a whole lot of errors:
No you got a whole load of warnings....

It looks to me like you fc-cache function is out of sync version wise with the various conf.d files so hence the resulant warnings. No idea hoe to fix this though I'm afraid.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Thanks Andy, that worked, for Odyssey at least.