Unable to change keyboard repeat rate

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
mpiva

Unable to change keyboard repeat rate

Post by mpiva »

I recently decided my keyboard repeat rate was a little on the slow side so I went into Input prefs to try and change it, however, adjusting the slider made absolutely no difference. I've tried it on both extremes, timing the length of time it takes to fill the test area with a string of "i"'s. It took the exact length of time when the rate was set to 0 seconds as when it was set to whatever the maximum is.

I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard on a Sam460ex. Adjusting the keyboard repeat DELAY seems to work fine, just the RATE doesn't work. I've tried on both Update 3 and Update 2 with the same results.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Unable to change keyboard repeat rate

Post by tonyw »

What sort of keyboard is it? I suspect that the keyboard repeats at its own speed and there's nothing you can do about it.

With a wired keyboard, the input.device checks to see if a key is held down and generates another keypress a certain time later if it's held. You might not be able to do that with a wireless keyboard and it might not be possible to change the rate at all.

Or, worse, it might be a special setup instruction that the Windows driver sends to the keyboard.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

It doesn't appear to be working here either. I'm using an old PS2 wired keyboard with USB adapter (on a SAM Flex). The delay setting works but the repeat speed has no effect. I haven't tried changing the repeat speed for a long time so I don't know if it worked with previous releases or not.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

tonyw wrote:What sort of keyboard is it?
Specifically, it's a Logitech "Cordless Freedom Optical" keyboard and mouse. The keyboard's model number is Y-RE20
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

Based upon xenic's comment, I decided to try switching my keyboard to a USB wired Hewlett Packard keyboard (Model: SK-2506U). Changing the key repeat rate still has no effect, so I don't think it's a wireless issue.