accessing pata hard drive data

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
kilaueabart

accessing pata hard drive data

Post by kilaueabart »

I have an old pata hard drive, I think from my AmigaOne xe, that I put in a Sabrent thing that allowed me to hook it up to my X1000 via a USB port and copy files over. I think it may have some stuff I would now like to copy over to my X5000, but I cannot seem to access it.

Media Toolbox shows me the partitions on the disk, but Workbench can't see it, nor can Diskmaster. I can't remember how I made it work on the X1000. Any ideas?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: accessing pata hard drive data

Post by tonyw »

Do you know the file system that was used on the disk? Maybe some partitions use one FS, and others use another. You can use Media Toolbox to check the file system type of a partition, using "Editing partitions for disk xxx"/Edit details for partition zzz". The chooser will show you the type of FS used by that partition.

In any case, you will need to have an appropriate filesystem either loaded via Kickstart/kicklayout or available in the L/ directory, before you can read any partitions. One file system for each different FS used on the disk.
cheers
tony
xenic

Re: accessing pata hard drive data

Post by xenic »

kilaueabart wrote: Media Toolbox shows me the partitions on the disk, but Workbench can't see it, nor can Diskmaster. I can't remember how I made it work on the X1000. Any ideas?
After following Tony's advice, you could try these tricks that worked for me in a similar situation on the X5000.

1. If a USB drive fails to be accessible sometimes it shows up on Workbench as soon as I open the MassStorage commodity.

2. My second method is more complicated. Drag SYS:System/Mounter to ram. Open the icon with the Workbench Icons/Information menu. Change the DEVICE tooltype to "DEVICE=usbdisk.device" and save. Double-click the Mounter icon in ram and it should open a lister showing the USB drive. Click on the USB drive and select the "Mount" button. Another lister should open showing 1 or more partitions. Select the partitions and select the "Mount" button.

If neither of the above tricks work then I don't know how you can solve the problem.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE