Building a new home network

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

Building a new home network

Post by daveyw »

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me out with this conumdrum...

I have just moved to a new house. My old home was quite small, and had a simple network all in one room. Fibre came into the living room and connected to the Optical Network Terminal. Attached to this was my modem, a Huawei HG659. This was supplied by my ISP, and I didn't much care for it, so attached to that was a Netgear D6400 router. All my wired devices, such as PS3, STB, NAS and X5000 attached to this, and I used it as a wireless access point. It worked fine.

My new home is much bigger. Each room has an ethernet port, and there is a home hub in the garage where fibre comes in and the Optical Network Terminal has been installed. I have plugged my Huawei modem into this, and then connected 4 of the rooms to this (I'm only planning on using two of them). This an an ip address of 192.168.1.1

My ideal setup has the Netgear router in the lounge, plugged into the wall socket through one of the DSL ports. It has my STB and PS3 connected, and servers as the wireless access point (192.168.0.1). One of the rooms is an office, which has a Netgear switcher with my X5000 and NAS attached (and probably eventually my A1XE, A1200 and probably a SAM I don't own but have living at my house at the moment).

The problem with this is that the OS4.1 X5000 can't see or connect to the network, can't see the NAS, and can't connect to the internet. It has an ip address of 192.168.0.8, so I guess it is connecting to the Netgear, which I can ping. I can't ping the Huawei modem.

I think this is down to my network configuration of the Amiga, because if I boot my X5000 in Linux, it can access the internet and can access the NAS.

Would anyone here be able to help me how to configure the Amiga to be able to access this network?

If I change the Netgear router's connection from the DSL port to the Internet port, my X5000 OS4.1 can access the internet and see the NAS (has an IP address of 192.168.1.2, so I guess it is connecting directly with the Huawei), but this seems to create a separate network, so that none of the devices wirelessly attached to my Netgear router can see the NAS.

I guess there may also be a way of configuring the Huawei and/or Netgear to get things to work, but as it looks like only OS4.1 is having the problem connecting, and when I boot in Linux it works fine.

Something clever I have to add to the network config or possibly Internet Prefs to make it connect to 192.168.0.1?

This is my rather sparse network config file:

Code: Select all

# DEVS:NetInterfaces/RTL8139
# File generated by Dialer 53.2 (3.10.2009)
# On Friday, 05-May-17 at 23:19:18
device=rtl8169.device
unit=0
configure=dhcp
writerequests=1024
iprequests=1024
thomasrapp

Re: Building a new home network

Post by thomasrapp »

Actually what you call a modem is already a router with a modem built in. And what you call DSL is already a LAN with IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.

Now you connect a second router to it which builds a second LAN with 192.168.0.x addresses. For this "inner" LAN the "outer" LAN (192.168.1.x) is WAN and of course you cannot connect from the 192.168.1.x devices to any of the 192.168.0.x devices because the router blocks all accesses.

IMHO you should not use the WAN port of the Netgear router. Connect all cables to its LAN ports (even the "DSL" cable) and disable its DHCP server. Then it does not route any more but only acts as a switch or HUB. Then all your devices are in the same 192.168.1.x network and they can all see and access each other. You also have to change the Netgear's IP addresss to something like 192.168.1.2 or so, otherwise it collides with the Huawei modem/router.
daveyw

Re: Building a new home network

Post by daveyw »

Thanks. Although it wouldn't let me change the ip address on the Netgear (it kept complaining that there was a clash), turning off the DHCP allowed me to connect to the network. Now, all my devices seem to work OK, although I had to manually configure my STB to get it to connect to the internet.

Hopefully, everything will still work as I connect more computers...