Icon Scaling engine *feature request*

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Tuxedo

Icon Scaling engine *feature request*

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi!
The icon scaling engine was really appreciated here since I like to use 48 x 48 icons but I like also to use some big icons in certain positions so now I cant use it...

Can be possible to implement in the future an "Icon black list" where to specify the icons that the system dont have to scale?

Thank you!
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Icon Scaling engine *feature request*

Post by ChrisH »

A "black list" shouldn't be necessary for what you ask. Instead of changing the icon scaling "Factor" (leave it at 100%), increase the "Minimum size" to your desired level. This will scale small icons, without affecting large ones.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi,
probably I missexplained...

I use the "max size" argument at 48 because I have various icon sizes on my hd and I dont like to see icons bigger or tinier of another only icons of the same size...

However I wish to use some big icons and so I like to have a list where to put the path of the icons that I wont to scale...

Hope that time I've ecplained better my "problem".

Thank you.
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

Tuxedo wrote:Hi,
probably I missexplained...

I use the "max size" argument at 48 because I have various icon sizes on my hd and I dont like to see icons bigger or tinier of another only icons of the same size...

However I wish to use some big icons and so I like to have a list where to put the path of the icons that I wont to scale...

Hope that time I've ecplained better my "problem".
Non you haven't. Do you mean you want all your icons at the size 48x48 and some "random" ones to stay at their original size?
Can you define if you use a rule to choose which icon should stay at original size?
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

@abalaban

exactly, but with the current fontengine seems not possible to do that right?
I tought simply to choose the icons that have to be left in its original size (bigger or tinier no matter), like the list on "Compatibility" program for petunia...
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@Tuxedo
Do you mean you want small icons scaled larger, but you want very big icons (already beyond the maximum) to be untouched?
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

Tuxedo wrote:@abalaban

I tought simply to choose the icons that have to be left in its original size (bigger or tinier no matter), like the list on "Compatibility" program for petunia...
Maybe this could be implemented in "True Amiga Style" (tm) by defining a Tooltype like "NOSCALE" which icon.library could parse. Easy-peasy for long time users, a pain for newbies. But should be rather simple to code. ;)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

cha05e90 wrote:Maybe this could be implemented in "True Amiga Style" (tm) by defining a Tooltype like "NOSCALE" which icon.library could parse. Easy-peasy for long time users, a pain for newbies. But should be rather simple to code. ;)
Sounds logical, hopefully it would not slow down things too much to have icon.library check for this on each and every icon.

As for newbies, if people are at the point where they realise they want to scale their icons, but exclude certain ones, they are hardly that much newbies that they couldn't also grasp the concept of tooltypes - which are a crucial element in the Amiga experience anyway. And we could even help by putting a new menu item in the Icons menu (and the corresponding ContextMenu) to set or clear it.

Best regards,

Niels
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

@ChrisH

no...
I mean that I like to have all my icons at the 48x48 size the big and the tiny, but sometime I like to have some icon in they original size...
Above the exact idea....
cha05e90 wrote:
Tuxedo wrote:@abalaban

Maybe this could be implemented in "True Amiga Style" (tm) by defining a Tooltype like "NOSCALE" which icon.library could parse. Easy-peasy for long time users, a pain for newbies. But should be rather simple to code. ;)
EXACTLY! :D

However I think that the "black list" way of approaching the problem was a faster way of doing the thing...maybe...

But the ToolType option was really the best AmigaOS like way :)

Now we need a develpoer telling we whats the better way :)
saimo

Post by saimo »

cha05e90 wrote:Maybe this could be implemented in "True Amiga Style" (tm) by defining a Tooltype like "NOSCALE" which icon.library could parse. Easy-peasy for long time users, a pain for newbies. But should be rather simple to code. ;)
This is not very important, but I just can't resist...
Such a choice would be very bad design-wise: tooltypes are meant to define the behaviour of the application, not how to handle its icon. The proper choice would be adding a flag to the icon properties, just like the "borderless" one*.

*BTW, nowadays keeping the borderless option and the border size setting makes no sense: drawing simple borders for old-style icons and not drawing any border for new-style icons is more than enough (and even taking the radical decision of dropping border support wouldn't hurt much).