danbeaver wrote:My mistake! Changing resolution modes does change free ram: I gained almost 10 Meg's of RAM by switching to "native" modes, which can either be emulated on the Radeo Card or via my AGA/Indivision MK II. I hate a small screen, but it does free ram.
The CyberStrorm SCSI device is oddly picky; it hated the U320 Fuji drive (15k) and a Seagate U160 HDD (10k), giving up the Ghost just after it allowed formatting. I do now have a properly and fully terminated SCSI bus chain.
Good news on the software install side of things: Voyager 3.32 installed and works nicely (I got the Netconnect3 CD and now have a key file). I found the intuitionbase web site and found a good compatibility list with some nice themes. I wrote a tutorial on use of the MAS PLAYER mp3 device in OS 4.1 ( and 3.9), and have begun to jot down notes on solving other problems. I compacted a Kicklayout-A4000T file to only the used devices and deleted out the comments; this MAY same load time and some memory, and I've been assigning programs, backups, and caches to my large SATA HDD which sits on my sii3114ide PCI card (the one I got from Amaz__.com for around 12 leaves of US lettuce). Finally for the present time, I'm using a USB Ethernet dongle to access the net at very improved speeds over the RTL8029. Again it boils down to having USB access which I believe should be supported on an inexpensive generic PCI Card -- like an NEC chipset card. Not only on E3B devices (I luckily have a Deneb).
Folks ought to check out the UltimatePPC.nl web site
You are, of course correct; however ZorRam is not cheap and like the Deneb, will be sold out and impossible to find.
I didn't know that the PCI USB card was DMA. I assume that only one (1) device may be DMA (the CS SCSI) and that there is way to add any other devices. I assume too that you can't PIO the driver for the PCI USB?
I do have some lingering questions (aka "Dreams") about the the future I came across in my first thread:
1) The Hyperion's OS 4.1 is begging for a REAL manual, not a FAQ.
2) There is a great Samba for Idiots Amiga site, but they don't have a "Troubleshooting" section for when it fails (yeah, Amiga Explorer does not get around the problem either).
3) It would be "really nice" to have a Pre-compiler/Compiler for 68K programs to PPC, as JIT has to have situations were it can't just stop and say, "Whoa partner that ain't right." You guys remember Blitz! Basic and "the like?"
4) I would like to have "PureBasic" or something similar make native PPC programs. PureBasic is now a free download and a good replacement for True Basic.
5) Wouldn't it be nice if the Sonnet Crescendo/7200 G3 PCI card (still available for 30 cubic-feet of that monitary stuff for a 500MHz G3 directly from them) could plug into a PCI slot and add some speed? The card has 3 slots for up to 384Mg of memory. It's set at 5V, at least it want 5V Mac memory which is pretty cheap. I read a discussion on Amiga.something.com|org|net that was do do one from scratch, but here is one that needs some boot code, etcetera-stuff to add in the memory and transfer program execution perameters.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests