Understanding and Optimization of OS 4.1 for Classics

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Re: Understanding and Optimization of OS 4.1 for Classics

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, I agree this gives you more RAM to work with (as noted earlier in this thread). Thank you for reiterating that some simple steps can help more than the complicated ones (using a 3.X dock, using 3.X browsers, starting Poseidon only when needed, lowering buffers, minimizing cybppc.config, streamlined KickStart etc).
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

A question about using KVMs showed up in the forums as being somewhat incompatible with OS 4.1; I use a powered 2-port DVI switch for my Indy AGA MK2 and Radeon DVI-D connections (A & D lines both switched) for the past 6 months. Seems more stable than my 2-port mechanical VGA switch. Has anyone defined what part of the KVM causes issues? Or could this just be unproven conjecture like the BigRam+ and a Mediator?

As an aside I filled out an A4000D with CSPPC 166/50 plus Mediator and put on a new, separate copy of OS 4.1 ( bought from Amigakit last month); she seems just as fast as my 233/60 tower and I can't tell any difference in the daily usage of the two. The only game I use in OS 4.1 is Quake2, and it plays fine. I'll have this D up for sale shortly ;) -- love my Tower.
tlosmx
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by tlosmx »

danbeaver wrote:Yes, I agree this gives you more RAM to work with (as noted earlier in this thread). Thank you for reiterating that some simple steps can help more than the complicated ones (using a 3.X dock, using 3.X browsers, starting Poseidon only when needed, lowering buffers, minimizing cybppc.config, streamlined KickStart etc).
now i have 512 mb of zoram on my system but in all the case ram is too low , i think it was better made the os 4.1 use the zoram as executable and not swap memory... i think is better have slow executable memory than low executable memory.
AmigaOne Xe 933 mhz Radeon 9000pro Samsung 840 SSD
Pegasos2 1266mhz Radeon 9800pro Verbatib Sata3 SSD
Sam 460ex Lite 2gb Ram , Radeon 6670,Toshiba 500gb Sata/HDD
Amiga Cd32 / Amiga 600 / Amiga 500 / Amiga CDtv/ Amiga 4000 / Amiga 1200 /Amiga 2000 and many many many z3 Boards
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Not my decision, Dude. I just play the game the way the field was laid out. I boot into 82 MB free and live with it.

If you need more ram, look to an NG system with 1 to 2 GB of ram.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

tlosmx wrote:
danbeaver wrote:Yes, I agree this gives you more RAM to work with (as noted earlier in this thread). Thank you for reiterating that some simple steps can help more than the complicated ones (using a 3.X dock, using 3.X browsers, starting Poseidon only when needed, lowering buffers, minimizing cybppc.config, streamlined KickStart etc).
now i have 512 mb of zoram on my system but in all the case ram is too low , i think it was better made the os 4.1 use the zoram as executable and not swap memory... i think is better have slow executable memory than low executable memory.
Hi there....

There is slow and there is unusable slow. We tested ZorRAM as system ram and it was unusable slow. I'm sorry about this, but we tried it during testing and development of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and as system ram the ZorRAM was too slow to be actually usable as a main system ram...seriously. I am the first person in line to want more system ram but ZorRAM isn't the solution.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Tlosmx is selling his A4000D, so it becomes a moot point. For those folks like him who need more RAM than what is left of the 128 MB, I suggest an Amiga NG machine. I can live with my limitations since I don't feel limited by RAM size; DMA issues are another enigma.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Not an exactly an Understanding and Optimization topic, but my A4000T went unstable a few weeks back with random freezes on the CSPPC SCSI bus. It took awhile to check it all out, but I finally found that one of my "active, wide, led glowing" terminators went bad.

My Classic system has been working well with me using OS 3.9 less and less. I still wish there was a book of manual on 4.1 because I seem to have transferred over 3 grand USD to Cardiff yesterday for an X1000 system. Must have happened in a fugue state since I have no recollection of being able to afford such a system.
ddni

Post by ddni »

Congrats on your purchase Dan!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Well, thank you DDNI. It seems to be arriving on 22-JUL-2013 and I guess I'll be in 2 forums then.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

A week and a half using my X1000 reveals that programs running on my A4000T in OS4.1 work the same on the X1000, just faster. I had backups of all my partitions on a 128 GB SSD and just moved it to the X1000. No big deal there. I use the same programs to access my network printers and use a Catweasel to get to my floppies -- yes I still find a need for these. The Catweasel support imports disks as ADF images requiring me to unADF them unless I use them for UAE. Still getting used to that by the way as I never had to emulate before.

A few wishes/points: Poseidon stack supports more than the OS4 one does, a clearer understanding of the CFE and the small boot partition is in my future, UAE needs a better manual, while OS4.1 needs one, period. The X1000 needs a cute HDD light; my add-on just sticks above the case poking through the fascial layer. I love the look of the case, but only 2 open external drive bays with one used by the DVD (and the other by my black floppy-to-catweasel drive) leaves none for a slot drive or other nifty device. "These are a few of my favorite things" -- Julie Andrews (Sound of Music).