OS4.1 classic not booting after installation

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Flare

OS4.1 classic not booting after installation

Post by Flare »

Hi,

problem after problem
I installed os4.1 from cd and it finished succesfull.
i removed floppy and cd and do the cold reset.
but no booting from hd..the amiga reset afters few seconds again and again.
the partition where i installed os4.1 is marked as bootable.

if i boot from floppydisk and cd to load the bootloader and choose my partition after reset.. i can start my installation..

whats wrong with it.. ???

rene
danbeaver

Re: OS4.1 classic not booting after installation

Post by danbeaver »

Common problem if boot partition/disk >4GB or not in first 4 GB of drive
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Also you should double check that you have the appropriate filesystem in the RDB of the hard drive (check version and DosType for FFS with OS4.1 Media Toolbox when you boot off floppy and CD).
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

It seems (from a posting on another site) that it was a first 4 GB partition issue and the problem is solved:

"setting up a new rdb and partition in the first 4gb solved my problen .
thx guys.
greets"
Benny

Post by Benny »

danbeaver wrote:Common problem if boot partition/disk >4GB or not in first 4 GB of drive
I have the same problem on my A1200T / Blizzard 330/060 / 256MB ram / IDE harddrive / IDE CD-rom.

After doing below installations the system keeps (re)booting.

I started like this:
Booting from the disk / os4.1 CD-rom,
Prepared an emtpy harddrive, read drive definitions, quick format harddrive, bootparttion < 500MB, installation of 4.1.
4.1 installations settings as suggested.

then again:

Booting from OS3.1 diskette
Prepared an emtpy harddrive, read drive definitions, full format harddrive, bootparttion < 500MB, installation of 4.1.
4.1 installations settings as suggested.

An installation of OS3.1 on the harddrive with CD-rom drivers is ok - but I did not install Warpup from os3.9 as suggested in the 4.x manual.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Could you list for the total size of your IDE hard drive and size of your partitions beginning with the first partition.

What file system did you use on the boot partition? While the install guide says to use SFS or DOS/7 (long file names) this did not work consistently and I had to use DOS/3 (FFS+Intl).
Benny

Post by Benny »

danbeaver wrote:Could you list for the total size of your IDE hard drive and size of your partitions beginning with the first partition.

What file system did you use on the boot partition? While the install guide says to use SFS or DOS/7 (long file names) this did not work consistently and I had to use DOS/3 (FFS+Intl).
Total size
Seagate ST 340014 A
467MB first partition, no other partitions.
DOS\03
FFS with long file names (prepared it with hdtoolbox from 3.1 disk, formatted it under 4.1 boot cd)
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The OS 4.1 manual says it works, but it didn't for me and SFS/0 didn't always get recognized on cold boot. After frustration I went to FFS-INTL DOS/3 on boot. I have a DOS/7 partition for OS 4.1 programs, but to boot from a turned off state, only DOS/3 is supported fully on my system. These partitions are salvageable and repairable unlike SFS and the others; if left <4GB, then Dave Haynie's DiskSalv2 can work on them too in OS 3.X or 4.1.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

@ Benny

Did you check the advice regarding the filesystem in the RDB as per my earlier post to the OP in this thread? You mentioned the steps you followed, but before installation of OS4.1 the relevant recent versions from the OS4.1 CD for the 68k filesystem(s) should be installed in the RDB of the hard drive (you did not mention performing this step). Maybe an old version of FFS in the RDB will still boot a newer version FFS partition, but I did not risk that myself.

The OP did mention he made a new RDB as well as <4GB partition so maybe that fixed his problem, but he did more than one thing at once so not sure what his (only) root cause was in the end.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
Rotzloeffel

Post by Rotzloeffel »

hmmmm,

while using Mediatoolbox from the OS4.0 Installation CD it was possible to right-click and load a os4 Profile. This ist not
available anymore in OS4.1 :roll:

This function works great! I allways use the OS 4.0 CD to setup the Harddrive with this profile and then reboot and install OS4.1 ! Works great :geek: