4.1.5: "Reboot sync" does not work

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Gregor

4.1.5: "Reboot sync" does not work

Post by Gregor »

I noticed after installing OS 4.1 Upgrade 5 that "Reboot sync" command does not do anymore cold reboot, only warm reboot. The problem seems to be at the KickStart level as warm reboot to 4.1.4 does not help if the machine has been booted originally with 4.1.5. Does it work for anyone else? (Ctrl-Alt-Alt seems to work also with 4.1.5)

I have a A4000T/CSPPC.

(BTW: is it normal that if I type in a shell window "Reboot ?" and Enter (only once!), and then close the shell window using the close button, the Reboot command is executed, as if I had pushed Enter second time?!)
danbeaver

Re: 4.1.5: "Reboot sync" does not work

Post by danbeaver »

Gregor! Good question, I've noticed the same thing, but I hadn't thought it was U5 related. I wrote a short script to reboot into OS 3.9 and IconX'd it to a AmiDock icon and noticed it didn't cold boot any more. The only way is to C-A-A for 10 secs; bummer!

Anyone have a fix? An explanation would be good too
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

danbeaver wrote:Gregor! Good question, I've noticed the same thing, but I hadn't thought it was U5 related. I wrote a short script to reboot into OS 3.9 and IconX'd it to a AmiDock icon and noticed it didn't cold boot any more. The only way is to C-A-A for 10 secs; bummer!
So you don't use AddMenu? I have replaced AmiDock with it, and it has both reboot options there by default. It is not as fancy as AmiDock, but it consumes much less of our precious fast memory!

To switch to OS 3.5 I simply insert a Iomega Jaz cartridge into it's "nest" (with boot priority one step higher than my OS 4.1 partition!), choose Reboot/cold from WB menus and that's it. To go back to 4.1 I remove the cartridge and reboot (even soft reboot do the job in this case, as there are no bootable 3.x partitions present).
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Well I haven't been using the Menu; I have a little program called "OS4Reboot" I have been using that also gives both options, but I have a little script that first changes the boot priority of the drives, then reboots -- this is the one that quit cold booting. I don't have to use the dock if I need the space, and I've configured a 68K program called "IconLauncher" that is a very low memory usage dock. When I need next to Max memory, I hold the "Alt" key while booting.

In any event, I have been C-A-A when I get a warm instead of a cold reboot.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

OK, I checked all three methods other than the C-A-A, and none cold boot on my machine. Just the 10 sec Nerve Pinch.

I also have a CSPPC A4000T.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Gregor, I guess you and I are the only two who seem to care. It does actually matter since I "boot down" to OS 3.9 every so often to access the A4091 SCSI bus, swappable CF cards, and play some rare games. If I'm in a Saturday morning game mood (used to be Saturday morning cartoons years ago), I plug in a 3.1 CF card and boot it up. Seems WHDLoad likes 3.1 best.

Silly to me are the folks who own a classic Amiga and play games on an emulator. But then MorphOS is big for gamers, and it is just an emulator that runs on a limited hardware set and a PPC CPU that can handle big vs little Endian with a similar instruction set.

Oops, sorry! "Thou (I) shall not Blog!"
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

danbeaver wrote:Gregor, I guess you and I are the only two who seem to care. It does actually matter since I "boot down" to OS 3.9 every so often to access the A4091 SCSI bus, swappable CF cards, and play some rare games. If I'm in a Saturday morning game mood (used to be Saturday morning cartoons years ago), I plug in a 3.1 CF card and boot it up. Seems WHDLoad likes 3.1 best.

Silly to me are the folks who own a classic Amiga and play games on an emulator. But then MorphOS is big for gamers, and it is just an emulator that runs on a limited hardware set and a PPC CPU that can handle big vs little Endian with a similar instruction set.
Well, Danbeaver, I guess the developers/testers have just now much more important things to do (at least I hope so!-) than solve our minor 'classical' problems! Personally, I can well wait this bug fix untill they get e.g. Netbook to the market :-)!

For me, my classic Amiga is mostly in productivity use... But as the lack of memory with 4.1 makes the reliable use of my primary applications (ImageFx and PageStream) impossible, I use 4.1 only for communications and some simple tasks, and switch back to 3.x to do any 'serious' work. Unless there will be in future some new hardware (CPU/memory) for classic Amigas, like UltimatePPC, I doubt I will invest anymore to new classic OS versions. Whatever new features they may have, they cannot remove the hardware limitations.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I agree, a Reboot Sync problem is likely low on their list. The software issue is OK for me as I use FinalWriter and various image manipulation software. I've used PageStream a lot in the past and have their latest version, but am not using it now.

The hardware limitation is interesting; Calgor's thought that the PCI slot for a CyberVision board could be used for RAM is quite good. It is certainly "closer" to the CPU than any Zorro III, but the hardware is a bit of an unknown, and who would go about building it is in question. You are right, the Ultimate PPC is a great hook to hang our hopes on.

On the 4.1 kernel side of things, the allowance of only a single DMA device is very restrictive. I know it simplifies the design, but now that they have a good working kernel, it would be nice for them to explore DMA for other hardware controllers. But more income to be made on the NG side of things I suppose.
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

bump.... is this still an issue with update 6 and the latest kernel ?
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Actually, yes. I have a dual boot (3.9 and 4.1) system where the boot priority changes between the partitions; a hard reboot via the reboot command has ignored this since 4.1.5 and only a hardware reboot works (10 seconds holding the C-A-A), reset button (A4000T) or on/off.