Logitech Wheel Mouse

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
lozspd4

Logitech Wheel Mouse

Post by lozspd4 »

Hi Guys
Wonder if anyone came help me get the mouse wheel to work properly on my logitech mx518 game mouse connected to my lyra 2 adaptor on my A1200, cant seem to get it to work,any one got any ideas.as cant get it to scroll with the mouse wheel.

Thanks
Laurence :o
thomasrapp

Re: Logitech Wheel Mouse

Post by thomasrapp »

Erm, the Lyra is a keyboard adapter, you cannot connect a mouse to it. You need a Micromys or similar for your mouse.

To use the wheel with a mouse adapter you need to install the software that comes with it.
lozspd4

Post by lozspd4 »

Hi Thomas
Er Oops Thanks for correcting me, i ment a micromys adaptor :( , Sorry i can,t stop laughing over my self your right. Well i tryed the Software that came with the micromys but still it wont scroll with moving the mouse wheel up and down,do i have to turn anything of in the os4.1 prefs so that the Software funktions correctly.

still laughing over my mistake :P

many thanks
Laurence
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Did you try any software which supports the scroll wheel (Aweb, DirOpus5 etc.) ?

If not, you need this also: http://aminet.net/package/util/mouse/FreeWheel
Note that the above software titles will scroll at double speed if you install FreeWheel.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

While it would be great that any window with a vertical scroll bar would scroll with a mouse wheel, virtually none do.
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

You need FreeWheel.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Not exactly true: FreeWheel adds support for the middle mouse button but the scroll functions are simply not supported on the Amiga mouse port. I seems from discussions elsewhere that freewheel uses a device on the joystick port to translate the scroll wheel function from the mouse into usable input. So a scrollable mouse uses the standard mouse port connected to a pass-thru adapter on the joystick port to get the proper information into a scrollable window. Mounty is in the process of developing such a 2-port setup for PS2 mice -- see forums for details.

Simpler (but not cheaper) solution is to use a USB mouse on a USB port with functions like scroll built in to the USB stack.
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

You are wrong. What you say applies to these do-it-yourself adapters from Aminet or eBay.

All adapters from Elbox, Eyetech, Individual Computers etc. support wheel movements on the mouse port. You have to install the driver which comes with the product (for example Cocolino.driver for Elbox' Cocolino). It feeds wheel movements from the mouse port into the AmigaOS input stream.

FreeWheel just listens to the input stream and reacts on wheel events. It is independent of a specific hardware.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Quite true, I may be wrong, but I am just repeating what I have read on the EAB and Amiga.org forums. I have used both a Cocolino and MicroMys 4 with drivers and Freewheel with no success. I can give it another try, but I gave up months ago caring.
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Do you use a KVM switch by chance? I didn't get the wheel to work reliably with this, too. It only works occasionally and only if the Amiga is the only computer on the switch.

But with the mouse connected directly to the adapter the wheel works perfectly.