Is there RTL8139 Support in OS 4.1?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Is there RTL8139 Support in OS 4.1?

Post by danbeaver »

Read this:

"

Re: Error: Can not get my RTL8029AS to work

Post by Cyborg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:54 am

The reason is that rtl8029.device (and also rtl8139 and rtl8169) only check for the default Realtek PCI IDs. Back when I wrote those drivers, I only had cards with default Realtek IDs and the same for the beta testers. So I never had a chance to add more cards to the list of supported cards. BUT luckily I gave the user the ability to overwrite those default IDs ;)

Here is the relevant section of the (internal) documentation:

The driver reads a file from "ENV:rtl8029.device/" named "unit <X>" where
<X> replaced by the unit number (0-7). The variable must contain one line
of configuration text which follows this template:

HALFDUPLEX/S, FULLDUPLEX/S, NOFLOWCONTROL/S, FLOWCONTROL/S,
VENDORID/K, DEVICEID/K

The options should be fairly self-explanatory, so just a few words
regarding VENDORID/K and DEVICEID/K: These two are meant to overwrite
the standard Realtek vendor and device PCI IDs, which might be useful
for rebranded network cards with a supported Realtek chip. To get both
IDs, run "PCIscan" in a shell and look for your card. The ID's *must*
be given as 16-bit hex values, e.g. 0x10EC or just 10EC. Case is
ignored.

By DEFAULT the device looks for cards with vendor ID 0x10EC (Realtek),
device ID 0x8139, 0x8169 or 0x8029 depending on what device you're
using and tries to auto-negotiate the best link setup with the other
side (e.g. 1000Mbit full-duplex flowcontrol for 8169).

So in your case, assuming you only have one rtl8029 card in your computer, you have to create this environment variable:

Code: ENVARC:rtl8029.device/unit0

with this content:

Code: VENDORID 0x4A14 DEVICEID 0x5000

Now rtl8029.device should be able to find and use your card (maybe do a reset after creating the envvar, just to be sure).

Would be nice if you could report back if your card works. Then I could include their IDs directly in the next release of rtl8029.

Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer"
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Is there RTL8139 Support in OS 4.1?

Post by JurassicC »

Yes but not for classic. Support is limited to the RTL8029 card in 3rd party pci solutions.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Didn't say so in the post.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

danbeaver wrote:Didn't say so in the post.
All the other RTL cards require DMA. We don't have DMA support on the Classic with AmigaOS 4.1 from the Mediator.

That leaves the RTL8029 as the only PCI network card. Deneb will work with a supported USB network adapter and can reach faster speeds btw.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Well this was listed in the Classic forum, so who is to blame for the confusion? Him for posting it or me for reading it?
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

No one is to blame, but if anyone, it would be me for not putting it in the FAQ. I'm just trying to help out here.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Hi danbeaver.

I just read the original thread. As I'm sure everyone here knows, one can override the device id etc of e.g. the RTL8029AS in case you have a "special" version of this card which does not use default/common PCI IDs. Think the confusion came in as this ability to override applies to other RTL cards (which are also not used in Classic) as per the statement you quoted. And then someone else in the thread was subsequently asking about their RTL8139 (in a classic thread).... hence the confusion.

Regarding the question on information on ability to use RTL8139 or not, was a good question to ask considering that thread, but if such a thing (imagining) were possible it would need to be put in the Compatibility List and as users we can refer to that or ask it be updated as per the separate thread if some user has somehow managed to get it working reliably. Trust me I would be on to it if such a thing were possible as I'm sure you would be :)

@DarrenHD

This ability to override is in the docs which might be enough, don't know if it is a common enough problem worthy of the FAQ.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Calgor wrote:Hi danbeaver.

@DarrenHD

This ability to override is in the docs which might be enough, don't know if it is a common enough problem worthy of the FAQ.
I could add it to the next FAQ revision. I didn't think it was that common of a problem - but perhaps worth adding :)

I should also add a question about corruption and newer Elbox-purchased Radon's. It's too bad that is the case but it appears it is - Elbox must have changed cards/suppliers.
alekc

Post by alekc »

DarrenHD wrote: Deneb will work with a supported USB network adapter and can reach faster speeds btw.
Sorry for a bit off-topic but do you actually have some tests how much faster it is. I'm asking since my A4000D in original casing is already packed so I might consider removing one PCI card from Mediator to make some room for others.