ncr_scsi.device.kmod

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
my_pc_is_amiga

ncr_scsi.device.kmod

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Is there any possiblity of releasing the "MODULE Kickstart/A4000T/ncr_scsi.device.kmod" to enable A4000T scsi -- I have many external scsi devices that would be nice to use with OS4.1 including some tape drives. The kicklayout has it commented out....
danbeaver

Re: ncr_scsi.device.kmod

Post by danbeaver »

The on board A4091 SCSI device uses DMA. The OS 4.1 kernel only allows DMA for the cybppc.device (the CyberStorm's SCSI); this is evident in the number of incompatible hardware devices (PCI USB cards, or the Deneb in DMA mode). I have "externalized" my 68-pin CSPPC bus, but the number of SCSI3 devices out there are limited, and the SCSI-1/2 stuff has to be accessed thru a "high byte terminated" adapter. They are affordable and available.

You can use those if you wish; as a UW bus, it can access 15 devices if you are careful with Active Termination.

As to whether there will be more than one device DMA-able in the future, is not privy to the likes of mortals like me. Simply put, a five ounce sparrow cannot carry a one pound coconut.
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Thanks for the info. I have a A4000T and so sounds like I would need to either use a bracket in an open zorro slot or make a hole in the case for the access to the external connector. Did you find a good solution as to not waste a zorro?
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Well yes and no :)

For the external SCSI port I used the slot in front of (of behind of) the Deneb, now the Deneb USB ports go up to the 9-pin size punch-out holes (there are 2 small and 2 large punch-outs in back). Now to use them you have to snap off that SCSI terminator part of the Serial-Parallel board. One sharp karate chop and it comes clean off!

Well not really, I carefully used a carbide cutting wheel on my Dremel to cut the board between the two parts of the PCB. There is about 1 - 2 mm distance between the terminator circuit (which I later attached to the power supply) and the SER-PAR part of the board. This is described online in an article on modifications to the A4000T.

To do this (I did both of my A4000Ts) required me to remove the PCB board to make an accurate cut. Both work fine and I use one of the large holes for my Indivision AGA MKII output.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

I cut the gameport/parallel board like danbeaver did and have an internal-external scsi-68 adapter go through the now accessible hole (very very tight fit), and that connector terminated by an external scsi-68 terminator. You do have to be very careful to cut a straight line in that narrow 1-2mm gap. I used a narrow saw very very very slowly. Of course had to remove the PCB first like danbeaver did. Have not connected any external scsi devices though (yet).

Danbeaver seems to do similar things to myself ;) I use the other holes for CVPPC output and Indivision AGA Mk2 output along with the SCSI. Deneb uses up a Zorro slot bracket (for now).
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Thanks for the advice. I don't feel confient and don't think I have the right tool in cutting this -- will see at some point if I can find someone who can because that looks like a clean solution.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

It is a lot easier and faster with the Dremel-like tool; if you live near a Wal-Mart (in the States, everyone seems to) they have the tool for less than $30 with cutting wheel. The actual time to do the cut is less than 2 minutes.

This tool is also how I used the 4 - 5 inches of "wasted" space above the PSU to cut a CF card sized slot (for a CF Card adapter). Two small holes in the case and IDE->CF bracket and self-tapping metal screws and I just reach behind the top of the case to put a CF card on the A4000T's IDE bus.