OWB gives screen corruption on Radeon + Mediator 4000Di

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: OWB gives screen corruption on Radeon + Mediator 4000Di

Post by JohnFante »

Calgor wrote:Surprised no one has looked at this. You will have to give me a few days. Look at my sig for my setup, I also have CVPPC and Radeon but in Mediator A4000T. I have not noticed such a problem before. But I do remember there could previously be potential for problems when using multiple screens (i.e. Mediator and CVPPC). PM me in 3 days time if no answer.
Great! :-) Thank you and will do!
X5000 :-)
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Calgor wrote:Surprised no one has looked at this. You will have to give me a few days. Look at my sig for my setup, I also have CVPPC and Radeon but in Mediator A4000T. I have not noticed such a problem before. But I do remember there could previously be potential for problems when using multiple screens (i.e. Mediator and CVPPC). PM me in 3 days time if no answer.
Another issue that maybe supports the "CVPPC/Mediator issue" theory. Sometimes the system starts up on the CVPPC even thou the system is set to start on the Radeon. It happens most often when I start the system after it has been shut down over the night. I have attched my Kicklayout.A4000 file just in case.
Attachments
Kicklayout-A4000.zip
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Mine always shows the OS4.x splash screen on CVPPC first before displaying workbench on Radeon. Do not think it is related, as it seems the CVPPC has priority when installing OS4.1 from CD as well (with no default config). It is interesting that it is not consistent for you. I had listed this item as a possible enhancement request or very minor bug but will look at it when I try to replicate your other issue.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Mine also also starts the splash screen on the CVPPC. No problem there.

However it is the whole system the starts up on the CVPPC and when it does it starts up in a low resolution saying that it can not open the RTL8029.device.

The error is here. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/139090/IMG_0323.JPG

I have an idea that the system dosn't start up the mediator properly after af the system has been shut off for longer period. But when I power off and the power on again everything works fine. Maybe that is hardware related (old capacitators etc). I do not know.

However the screen corruption is a software error (graphics library/memory usage). There is nothing like that in OS3.9.

But thank you again for your help!
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Errors before initialising Radeon for Workbench will pop up on the "previous" display (be it CVPPC or maybe even Picasso IV scandoubler/AGA). I cannot read the language of your error message, but when I had my network set up incorrectly, the network startup command in the startup-sequence had a problem and would output an error message. It may be using your CVPPC mode promotion of OCS/ECS/AGA to 640x480/400 even, you should hopefully be able to check using your monitor. But that all seems normal (not the RTL8029 error itself) given your splash screen shows up on CVPPC.

The timing of network startup may not be identical for every boot so you may not always see the same behaviour. If you comment out network-startup in your startup-sequence temporarily (just to try), I expect you will no longer see any error on the CVPPC and it would go straight to Radeon workbench every time.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Calgor wrote:I cannot read the language of your error message
It's a printout from the network log, and the error message itself says: Error opening "rtl8029.device", unit 0 (error opening interface/unit).

Translated back directly, not checked against original English wording (but I did translate it into Danish myself back then ;-)).

Best regards,

Niels
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The CVPPC issue is a startup standard; it seems the kernel knows it has native MB output but seems written to initially prefer the CVPPC for output (there is even a boot load command to override this) as removing the KickStart modules from the directory (and of course your Kicklayout) won't stop this behavior. At some point it finally checks for the preferred video card and switches over. This has nothing to do with your OWB issue, sorry.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

JohnFante wrote:I have a A4000 with CSPPC and Mediator MK2Di.

In the Mediator is:

Radeon 9200 - 256MB (bought with the Mediator from Elbox)
Network (Realtek RTL 8029AS)
Empty
SB128

Besides that I have a CVPPC installed on the CSPPC for OS3.9 gaming.

The system is running fine (on the Radeon) but I sometime get massive screen corruption when I use OWB (latest version) and only OWB.

First it comes as small vertikal pink lines (couple of CM's long) in the OWB window when I move it. The lines disappear when I load a new webpage. But often after a while the whole screen corrupts (everything kind of blurs) and I have to reset to get a functioning system back.

The problems only comes when I use no 3D effects and transparent windows. When I use 3D effects the problems is not there. At least I have not noticed.

I have also another similar issue. When I for instance what to extraact a lha file and Unarc asks where It should unpack the file to I get small horizontal lines en the left of my screen. Just a couple of whites ones and they disappear at once. The same lines appear when I use the sliders on large webpages.

I am not sure if this is a hardware problem or software related. I did not have that kind of problems when I was running on the CVPPC and used my Adriana network card. Hope someone can help.

I have attached a couple of debugbufferdumps I made after it corrupted the screen.
Does OS4.1 detect 256MB or 128MB of memory on your Radeon? I ask this because the memory allocation / organization is tight with the Classics - there is limited address space available. If I were you I would:

1) Try removing the SB128 to see if the problem persists. I know OWB won't really work without the RTL8029 but if there is a way to load local pages without that card you could try to remove the RTL8029 just to see.

2) See if you can replicate the issue with an older version of OWB

3) Try to find a RTL8029 card that fits so you can put your cards in the correct order as per the FAQ. Sometimes you can find them at local computer stores in used parts bins or at flea markets for very cheap.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

@Calgor
If you comment out network-startup in your startup-sequence temporarily (just to try), I expect you will no longer see any error on the CVPPC and it would go straight to Radeon workbench every time.
That did not solve the problem of the system booting on the CVPPC. The error saying that it was not able to open the ethernet disappeard but that was the only difference. When I booted after a period with the computer off it would on the first boot go to the CVPPC.

I have removed the CVPPC and now the system boots flawlessly to the Radeon every time.

@DarrenHD
Does OS4.1 detect 256MB or 128MB of memory on your Radeon?
It shows 256MB. To be exactly at the moment with MUI OWB open it says 251.602.176 when i tell it to show Video memory.
1) Try removing the SB128 to see if the problem persists. I know OWB won't really work without the RTL8029 but if there is a way to load local pages without that card you could try to remove the RTL8029 just to see.

2) See if you can replicate the issue with an older version of OWB

3) Try to find a RTL8029 card that fits so you can put your cards in the correct order as per the FAQ. Sometimes you can find them at local computer stores in used parts bins or at flea markets for very cheap.
After I removed the CVPPC my system has so far worked flawlessly. No screencorruption or problems. So I do not think the problems is with th order of the cards.
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Well i think I was a bit quick to call that one. I have had corruption again.

I will start testing :-)