IPrefs and SoundPlayer and startup sound

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
my_pc_is_amiga

IPrefs and SoundPlayer and startup sound

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

I commented this from the startup-sequence and the startup sound still plays:

;Run >NIL: *>NIL: SoundPlayer QUIET

I was actually hearing 2 sounds play before (overlapping) and so am thinking this is a redunant command with the Iprefs program that also loads the sound prefs which says to play a sound?
danbeaver

Re: IPrefs and SoundPlayer and startup sound

Post by danbeaver »

I think you should check the WBstartup selection in Prefs: or select it from the menu with a right-click on the WB screen; alternatively you may have selected a recorded sound as a system event notice, but that is very intentional and not a default -- check Sound in the Prefs: folder.

Failing that check the S:User-startup script.
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

You are right -- in the wbstartup prefs, I have script calling the s:startup-sound calling soundplayer.
I just found out that soundplayer reads the sound.prefs file to see if anything to play.

The "Play System startup sound" in sound prefs only plays when soundplayer is executed -- this wasn't too clear.

But it looks like in my orginal install, startup-sequence and wbstartup were each calling soundplayer and so I was getting the start up sound played twice and overlapping.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Ah, another side of preemptive multitasking: playing multiple sound files at the same time; you know though, you could arrange a nice musical canon that way ( Haydn's String Quartet in D Minor, Op. 76, or Pachelbel's Canon in D) :)