MUI4 screenmode setting lost when saved from OWB

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Gregor

MUI4 screenmode setting lost when saved from OWB

Post by Gregor »

I noticed a strange problem with the MUI 4 (v.20.6114) when used with OWB.... The "Settings/MUI/screen' selection is lost even if I save it from OWB. If I select either "default public screen' or 'customized public screen from MUI database:' (and Workbench from the list shown) and then SAVE, the setting is only kept until next reboot. When I reopen OWB after a reboot, the screen selection has always changed to 'foreign public screen named ...OWB' (There is no such screen currently on the screen list shown, though). But the OWB window IS on the WBscreen, even though some menu items do not work, e.g. 'Project/Open File' and 'Project/Upen URL' do not open a file requester (the menu items are 'active', not ghosted). If I then go to the 'Settings/MUI/screen' and select again the WBscreen (and 'use' or 'save'), all the menu items using a file requester are working normally again.

This odd behaviour is the same for MUI-OWB 1.9 and the new 'Odyssey'-OWB. I checked this also with MUI 3.9 and there is no problem, screen settings are kept after saving and reboot.

I do not have a NG machine available, so I'm not sure whether this is a classic-only or a general problem.

Where does AmigaOS keep this MUI-OWB screenmode selection? Should I try to delete some prefs file somewhere...?
danbeaver

Re: MUI4 screenmode setting lost when saved from OWB

Post by danbeaver »

If it is saved, it should be in a prefs, settings, or config file locally; possibly within the MUI directory, or in an ENV/ENVARC setting. (My 4000T is down with the flu), but I can check it on my X1000 once I'm back in town.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

danbeaver wrote:If it is saved, it should be in a prefs, settings, or config file locally; possibly within the MUI directory, or in an ENV/ENVARC setting. (My 4000T is down with the flu), but I can check it on my X1000 once I'm back in town.
Thanks for your answer!

There is one file which is changed (or at least it's date stamp) when I try to save the MUI settings from OWB:

sys:prefs/env-archive/mui/screens.txt

But it seems to have only the definition of the WBscreen... There is nothing looking like specific to OWB . And deleting the file does not help anyway. It just reappears there but OWB's screen setting is not kept.

But if you could test with your X1000 whether saving different screenmode options in OWB really works or not, we would at least know if this is a general or a classic-only problem (I hope it is not a me-only problem, though!).
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

(Still out of town)

What happens if you add the OWB screen to the screen.txt file? The ENVARC/ENV exists to keep track of changes to be loaded the next time, so perhaps the screen will load.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

danbeaver wrote:(Still out of town)

What happens if you add the OWB screen to the screen.txt file? The ENVARC/ENV exists to keep track of changes to be loaded the next time, so perhaps the screen will load.
I originally had that! I used MUI-OWB (the old version) only on its own screen... But when the Odyssey-OWB came out and was shown to use too much memory to be useful with 128MB, I tried to use it on WB-screen (spares 2 MB). So, my aim is not to use it on its own screen, but get it to work properly on WB screen, so that all the menus are functional, without having to go through MUI screen settings (and select WB screen) every time I start OWB...
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

My screen changes with OWB are saved and loaded from the ENVARC:MUI/screen.txt file; the format is not straight forward, so I suspect that a minor variance in the save/load cycle could produce an error.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

danbeaver wrote:My screen changes with OWB are saved and loaded from the ENVARC:MUI/screen.txt file; the format is not straight forward, so I suspect that a minor variance in the save/load cycle could produce an error.
So it IS working in your system? How does the file look like if you save it after having selected WB screen?

In my case it is like this:

N="Workbench" T="" F="" B="" S="" MM="" MW=0 MH=0 MD=0 ID=1342443778 W=1024 H=768 D=16 OS=1 AUTOSCROLL C0=000000 C1=000000 C2=000000 C3=000000 C4=000000 C5=000000 C6=000000 C7=000000 S0=0 S1=1 S2=1 S3=2 S4=9 S5=11 S6=1 S7=0 S8=12 S9=1 S10=0 S11=127
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, that is the unintelligible data that appears in my X1000.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Gregor wrote:
danbeaver wrote:(Still out of town)

I originally had that! I used MUI-OWB (the old version) only on its own screen... But when the Odyssey-OWB came out and was shown to use too much memory to be useful with 128MB, I tried to use it on WB-screen (spares 2 MB). So, my aim is not to use it on its own screen, but get it to work properly on WB screen, so that all the menus are functional, without having to go through MUI screen settings (and select WB screen) every time I start OWB...
Start OWB go to MUI settings choose the Workbench screen then SAVE the settings.

Should now always open on the Workbench.

You could also go into the Main MUI settings (sys:MUI/MUI) and delete the OWB screen from the database. OWB will fall back to the Workbench (or default public screen).
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

broadblues wrote: Start OWB go to MUI settings choose the Workbench screen then SAVE the settings.

Should now always open on the Workbench.

You could also go into the Main MUI settings (sys:MUI/MUI) and delete the OWB screen from the database. OWB will fall back to the Workbench (or default public screen).
No, the 'SAVE' does_not_work! Please read the very first message of this thread (and the headline of it - it says 'when saved').

Deleting OWB screen does not help either, as I also told previously.