Amiga 4000 OS4.1 upd 2 Install Error

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
johnnybravo

Amiga 4000 OS4.1 upd 2 Install Error

Post by johnnybravo »

I have a classic Amiga 4000 fully working with AmigaOS 3.9 with the following hardware:

A4000D 2Mb chip, 16 Mb fast with KS 3.1 V.40.68;
CSPPC 604e@233MHz - 68060@50MHz / 128Mb;
CYBERVISION PPC;
HD SCSI IBM ULTRASTAR DPSS-309170 9,1Gb;
CD-RW SCSI HP CD-WRITER 9600 SERIES.
Hi all,
The PPC settings are as from AmigaOS 4.1 installation manual (maprom-off, 70ns-ram, scsi all-auto, cdrom-no boot, ecc…), and reading the manual of the PPC board, I set the scsi connections as follows:

ACTIVE TERM -- PPC CONTROLLER -- HD IBM -- CD WRITER HP -- ACTIVE TERM
or
ACTIVE TERM -- PPC CONTROLLER -- HD IBM -- CD WRITER HP TERMINATED.

I tried to see several forums but all users with different cases, no one was left with my problem....
When I install AmigaOS 4.1 upd. 2, the floppy boots to the CD, the CD starts a multicolored process that ends with purple, the green led flashes and crashed.
I tried to use ide HD and CD-RW but during installation there is always the same problem.....
Instead if I try to do an upgrade from 3.9 to 4.1 but tells me that the installation files are unable to open.
Has anyone had a problem like mine? How can I fix it?
Thanks at all and sorry for my bad English.
Demidio
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Amiga 4000 OS4.1 upd 2 Install Error

Post by DarrenHD »

johnnybravo wrote:I have a classic Amiga 4000 fully working with AmigaOS 3.9 with the following hardware:

A4000D 2Mb chip, 16 Mb fast with KS 3.1 V.40.68;
CSPPC 604e@233MHz - 68060@50MHz / 128Mb;
CYBERVISION PPC;
HD SCSI IBM ULTRASTAR DPSS-309170 9,1Gb;
CD-RW SCSI HP CD-WRITER 9600 SERIES.
Hi all,
The PPC settings are as from AmigaOS 4.1 installation manual (maprom-off, 70ns-ram, scsi all-auto, cdrom-no boot, ecc…), and reading the manual of the PPC board, I set the scsi connections as follows:

ACTIVE TERM -- PPC CONTROLLER -- HD IBM -- CD WRITER HP -- ACTIVE TERM
or
ACTIVE TERM -- PPC CONTROLLER -- HD IBM -- CD WRITER HP TERMINATED.

I tried to see several forums but all users with different cases, no one was left with my problem....
When I install AmigaOS 4.1 upd. 2, the floppy boots to the CD, the CD starts a multicolored process that ends with purple, the green led flashes and crashed.
I tried to use ide HD and CD-RW but during installation there is always the same problem.....
Instead if I try to do an upgrade from 3.9 to 4.1 but tells me that the installation files are unable to open.
Has anyone had a problem like mine? How can I fix it?
Thanks at all and sorry for my bad English.
Demidio
Hi, can you double check the PPC is fully working? Does it work under OS 3.9? You can try running the PPC test floppy which you can download here:

http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=24

Boot your amiga with it and you can choose to test warpOS and PowerUP. They both should return OK. If they don't there may be a problem with your PPC.

Let us know what the results are. I have attached a photo of a correctly executed PPC test disk.
ppctestOK.jpg
ppctestOK.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 11035 times
Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
johnnybravo

Post by johnnybravo »

Hi Darren,
sorry for the late reply but I'm off to work.
I will return just undergone the test you suggested and I will communicate you the result.
Thank you so much!
Demidio
johnnybravo

Post by johnnybravo »

Hi Darren,
I did the test, if I boot from a floppy, after a brief loading the amiga load by hd, but if I disable the HD from startup settings, the amiga load from floppy and run the test once this is result ........
ppctest.jpg
(397.06 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
With the powerup test shows that the ppc.library is not available, with the warp test a window appears and crashes.
I'm very sad ....
Have I a crazy card?
Thanks.
Demidio
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

johnnybravo wrote:Hi Darren,
I did the test, if I boot from a floppy, after a brief loading the amiga load by hd, but if I disable the HD from startup settings, the amiga load from floppy and run the test once this is result ........
ppctest.jpg
With the powerup test shows that the ppc.library is not available, with the warp test a window appears and crashes.
I'm very sad ....
Have I a crazy card?
Thanks.
Demidio
Hi Demidio, unfortunately that means your PPC is not working :( The good news is that it can likely be repaired - there is a person named Stan in Poland that can remove the PPC and re-solder it on. He usually posts under the name stachu on amiga.org and English Amiga Board. He can also upgrade the PPC to a faster one.

Usually what happens over time is that solder joints under the PPC break...

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

You can reach Stanislaw Sędłak at Stanislaw.sedlak@gmail.com. He just finished repair work on 3 of my CSPPC's and is thorough and very reasonable in his prices. 604e upgrades, though, are not cheap and not really noticeable in my experience. He also posts videos of his repair work running.
johnnybravo

Post by johnnybravo »

Hi and thanks at all for your interest!
Now I will contact Stanislaw now and I'll see what I can do and at what price .....
I hope to solve the problem and to be able to install AmigaOS 4 ....
Thanks again!
Demidio