[SOLVED] OS41 install hangs

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
tomse

[SOLVED] OS41 install hangs

Post by tomse »

During installation I can't get past the point where I have to select Locale and Keyboard.
clicking the icon loads from the CD and then it just hangs.. Mouse has the waiting cursor.
the same goes for skipping the locale settings and going directly to install

I can boot into workbench on the CD, and I can start installation there, but the end result is that it fails by not being able to copy the locale+keyboard settings.
I can only cancel hereafter.

some of the system seems being transfered.. but there are several things that don't work, i.e. setting locale.

I've retried making a copy of the CD in case it was bad.. but no errors found.

it was only a few days ago when I made a full install without problems.. so why can't I do that now ?

Specs:

Amiga 4000D
* 2Meg chip
* 250 MB CF as IDE master
* CD/DVD rom as IDE slave (I tried a second CD/DVD drive as well)
* x-surf

CyberstormPPC 200MHz / 060@50MHz
* 128 Meg Ram
* 250GB IDE -> Acard UW -> scsi with active terminators

CyberVisionPPC

I've tried plugging the 250GB drive as IDE master, same issues, and changing the IDE drive.
Last edited by tomse on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
danbeaver

Re: OS41 install hangs

Post by danbeaver »

Sounds like an odd HDD problem, I'm guessing from the use of the SCSI->IDE interface, where it won't save items; you don't give the particulars of your install partition which MUST be in the first 4 GB of the hard drive, less than 4 GB in size, FFS (with SFS/00) partition. Try either using a 4 GB CF as IDE master on your IDE interface for the install, or put the 250 GB IDE on the A4000D's IDE interface. If it works then, it is the ACard UW interface. If not, then please provide all of the the particulars on the hardware I mentioned above. While I have used a large 1 TB IDE drive on an Acard interface (transfer rates are better on a UW320 HDD at 15K), I've not done an install that way. A CF card works fine on the A4000T's IDE interface and, given the standard kernel implementation pause, the boot time seems reasonable. From my experience with my A4000T, your hardware "should" work, but that is not always the reality. The IDE interface on the A4T is more robust than that on the A4D in my experience.
tomse

Post by tomse »

Sorry I thought I gave all the required info, but you're right.
I did move the HDD to the IDE port to try the install there, this was where it was installed in the first place.
at present my drive is as follows (when trying to install earlier, where the same error occured it seems it was within the 4gig range. but can't be sure right now)

The partitions are as follows:
dh0: 350ish MB (os31)
dh1: 350ish MB (os39)
dh2: 1.6gig (work)
dh3: 1.8gig (os41)

it seems the partition is alittle too large to be under the 4gb.. I'll try adjusting this and get back to you, thanks for pointing it out ;-)

EDIT: I was wrong. DH2 was going to be OS41, where Work was on DH3

EDIT2:
I didn't know that at the time of choosing locale before partitioning and formatting it would write to the disk? don't forget that this happens at the choice menu before installing as well
tomse

Post by tomse »

I managed to get to select locale during setup now.

I think the whole issue came when I was setting up everything from scratch using PFS3 instead of FFS for my OS31/OS39/Work partitions
And not changing the Identifier to 53465300

cheers :-)
danbeaver

Re: [SOLVED] OS41 install hangs

Post by danbeaver »

I'm glad to hear it is working now. Once it is fully up and running, you can try the SCSI-->IDE again -- but you can pick up a bit more speed with a UWSCSI HDD @15K rotation 35mb/s in OS3.X OR 32MB/S in OS4.
tomse

Post by tomse »

I installed directly to the cyberscsi drive so no problem :-)

in os3.1 I'm getting 23MB/Sec with the IDE drive :-) the UW drives I have are too noisy (singing) and 23MB/sec is a big improvement from the 2.5MB/Sec I had ;-)
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

tomse wrote:I installed directly to the cyberscsi drive so no problem :-)

in os3.1 I'm getting 23MB/Sec with the IDE drive :-) the UW drives I have are too noisy (singing) and 23MB/sec is a big improvement from the 2.5MB/Sec I had ;-)
Yes, and you are using DMA as well so CPU usage under AmigaOS 4.1 Classic is much lower....so I'd setup a swap partition on the SCSI drive as well for now ;)
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!