OS4.0 hdd booting problems

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.

OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby gbozkurt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi,

I have OS4.0 for classic amiga (1200 ppc) bought from amigakit. Registered here.
I formated my hdd for clean installation.
After partitioning with Mediatoolbox and formatting the hdd, OS4.0 is installing with no problem.
But when i'm booting, it says "not a valid os disk"

I tried 4 different HDD (850 gb ide seagate, 1 gb Quantum ide, 2.1 Gb Western ide, and 4 Gb Fujitsu ide)
Same result.

I tried os 4.0 partition templates or custom specification, no change.
I tried FFS and SFS , same result.

Quick format or long format is not changing the situation

When i'm booting with CD rom, OS4.0 see my partititons and read all the drawers.

But booting is impossible ..

I made all on the manual.


There is no problem with my mediator, ppc, hdd or mobo.
3.1 and 3.9 are working wit mediator.

Where i'm doing wrong ? Thank you
gbozkurt
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby Hans » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Hmm, no replies yet. This thread should be moved to the "Platform: Classic" section; maybe it'll get a response there.

I have never used AmigaOS 4.x on a classic machine, so I can't really help. Having said that, here are a few things that you could check:
- Which version of FFS did you use for the boot partition (i.e., what's the "dostype" that you entered when partitioning)? IIRC, the latest versions of FFS cannot be read by the old 68k kickstart ROMs
- Were you supposed to install the filesystem into the RDB?
- Is your OS4 boot partition in the first 4 GB of the drive? I vaguely remember there being some kind of limitation on where the boot partition could be

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
User avatar
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby nbache » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:15 am

Hans wrote:- Which version of FFS did you use for the boot partition (i.e., what's the "dostype" that you entered when partitioning)? IIRC, the latest versions of FFS cannot be read by the old 68k kickstart ROMs
No, I think that part is okay, but the file system (obviously) needs to be a 68k version, not the native PPC version.

- Were you supposed to install the filesystem into the RDB?
The 68k version should be, yes (while no PPC filesystem should ever be installed into any RDB).

Also, an slb (found in L:) should be installed into the RDB; this is done in the preparation part of Media Toolbox.

But these things should all be described in the manual.

Best regards,

Niels
User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby Hans » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 am

nbache wrote:
Hans wrote:- Which version of FFS did you use for the boot partition (i.e., what's the "dostype" that you entered when partitioning)? IIRC, the latest versions of FFS cannot be read by the old 68k kickstart ROMs
No, I think that part is okay, but the file system (obviously) needs to be a 68k version, not the native PPC version.


AFAIK "DOS\06" and "DOS\07" cannot be read by the old 68K FFS (i.e., the one in the 3.x kickstart ROMs). I could be wrong though. In any case, those details should be in the manual

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
User avatar
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby Christopher Follett » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:17 pm

gbozkurt wrote:Hi,

I have OS4.0 for classic amiga (1200 ppc) bought from amigakit. Registered here.
I formated my hdd for clean installation.
After partitioning with Mediatoolbox and formatting the hdd, OS4.0 is installing with no problem.
But when i'm booting, it says "not a valid os disk"

I tried 4 different HDD (850 gb ide seagate, 1 gb Quantum ide, 2.1 Gb Western ide, and 4 Gb Fujitsu ide)
Same result.

I tried os 4.0 partition templates or custom specification, no change.
I tried FFS and SFS , same result.

Quick format or long format is not changing the situation

When i'm booting with CD rom, OS4.0 see my partititons and read all the drawers.

But booting is impossible ..

I made all on the manual.


There is no problem with my mediator, ppc, hdd or mobo.
3.1 and 3.9 are working wit mediator.

Where i'm doing wrong ? Thank you


Maybe the drive has a higher priority than anything else. I hate this in All Amiga WB / OS. It should just ignore non formatted drives. No instead it just refuses to boot.
Check early startup menu.
Hans wrote:
nbache wrote:
Hans wrote:- Which version of FFS did you use for the boot partition (i.e., what's the "dostype" that you entered when partitioning)? IIRC, the latest versions of FFS cannot be read by the old 68k kickstart ROMs
No, I think that part is okay, but the file system (obviously) needs to be a 68k version, not the native PPC version.


AFAIK "DOS\06" and "DOS\07" cannot be read by the old 68K FFS (i.e., the one in the 3.x kickstart ROMs). I could be wrong though. In any case, those details should be in the manual

Hans



You are correct. 68K, does not like DOS6/ 7.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)
__________________
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
User avatar
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:56 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby thomasrapp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Christopher Follett wrote:You are correct. 68K, does not like DOS6/ 7.


No, you are wrong. FFS V51 (68k) comes with OS 4.0 and it is required to install OS 4.0 on a partition with long file names (DOS\7 or SFS). And it is required to put the file system used (68k) into the RDB because DOS\7 is not known to Kickstart 3.x (as is SFS).

And no, it is not needed to install an SLB. Kick 3.x takes this part and boots from the OS 4.0 partition, the BootStrap command then loads Kick 4.0.
User avatar
thomasrapp
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:22 am

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby DarrenHD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:59 pm

gbozkurt wrote:Hi,

I have OS4.0 for classic amiga (1200 ppc) bought from amigakit. Registered here.
I formated my hdd for clean installation.
After partitioning with Mediatoolbox and formatting the hdd, OS4.0 is installing with no problem.
But when i'm booting, it says "not a valid os disk"

I tried 4 different HDD (850 gb ide seagate, 1 gb Quantum ide, 2.1 Gb Western ide, and 4 Gb Fujitsu ide)
Same result.

I tried os 4.0 partition templates or custom specification, no change.
I tried FFS and SFS , same result.

Quick format or long format is not changing the situation

When i'm booting with CD rom, OS4.0 see my partititons and read all the drawers.

But booting is impossible ..

I made all on the manual.


There is no problem with my mediator, ppc, hdd or mobo.
3.1 and 3.9 are working wit mediator.

Where i'm doing wrong ? Thank you


To me this sounds like the filesystem is not in the RDB. Please read this blog post, specifically the section on "Adding a file system into the Rigid Disk Block (RDB)".

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=210

Also ensure the partition is marked as bootable and has the highest priority. Please report back, thanks!

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
User avatar
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby Hans » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:23 am

thomasrapp wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote:You are correct. 68K, does not like DOS6/ 7.


No, you are wrong. FFS V51 (68k) comes with OS 4.0 and it is required to install OS 4.0 on a partition with long file names (DOS\7 or SFS). And it is required to put the file system used (68k) into the RDB because DOS\7 is not known to Kickstart 3.x (as is SFS).

And no, it is not needed to install an SLB. Kick 3.x takes this part and boots from the OS 4.0 partition, the BootStrap command then loads Kick 4.0.

That makes sense. So, the version of FFS in the 3.x kickstart ROM can't handle DOS6/7, but the one provided on the OS4 CD does. Forgetting to install that into the RDB could be what went wrong.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
User avatar
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby Christopher Follett » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm

thomasrapp wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote:You are correct. 68K, does not like DOS6/ 7.


No, you are wrong. FFS V51 (68k) comes with OS 4.0 and it is required to install OS 4.0 on a partition with long file names (DOS\7 or SFS). And it is required to put the file system used (68k) into the RDB because DOS\7 is not known to Kickstart 3.x (as is SFS).

And no, it is not needed to install an SLB. Kick 3.x takes this part and boots from the OS 4.0 partition, the BootStrap command then loads Kick 4.0.


Sorry, thats what I ment, should have said ROM FFS doesnt like it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)
__________________
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
User avatar
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:56 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: OS4.0 hdd booting problems

Postby danbeaver » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, there is an error with the HDD setup and an improper RDB (lacking a bootable file system), or an improper partition (>4 GB) are the best guesses. Screen pics of the MediaToolbox in action would help with the diagnosis and treatment.
User avatar
danbeaver
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: On the edge of the Equator in hot & humid Guam


Return to Platform: Classic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests