AOS4.1 : pb install on CFCARD and 3D for permedia2

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Lio

AOS4.1 : pb install on CFCARD and 3D for permedia2

Post by Lio »

Hi All,
I am testing AOS4.1 on my A1200PPC and I believe that the performance of the onboard IDE is a limiting factor. Each time I launch something from AmiDock, there is a lag of 2-3 seconds before something happens and in general there is lack of responsiveness.
Since my tower is already pretty full, I will not add a FastATA but rather replacing the harddrive by the famous IDE-to-CFCARD from AmigaKit with the 4GB CFCARD that came with. I transfer the content of the harddrive to the CFCARD and added the filesystem to the RDB but when I boot, I got a requester "not a DOS disk" ???
So anyone tried to boot from a IDE-to-CDCARD or even a IDE-to-SD ?

My second question is about the hardware acceleration for permedia2 : I dont have a mediator but a zorroIV (to carry the XSurf3) and the graphic card I am using is therefore the BVPPC. I remember that Karlos wrote some months ago that the 3D driver for permedia2 was in betatesting phase.
what is the status at the moment ? will we get it ?

Oh and one extra : I have a CatWeasel MK2 (anniversary edition) which is now supported by the X-1000. Is it also recognized on classic ? so far it failed to recognise floppies when connected to the clockport of the XSurf. I might try the onboard clockport but before I do that, I would be happy to know if this card is also working for classic or it is "X-1000 only" !
danbeaver

Re: AOS4.1 : pb install on CFCARD and 3D for permedia2

Post by danbeaver »

. .
Last edited by danbeaver on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lio

Post by Lio »

Thanks for your reply, I feel like left alone and no one (even the devs at Hyperion) seems to care about the classic version of AmigaOS4.1 (sigh !). It is like "it is released, lets forget about it and let the users find the answer by themself. We got our 100 bucks. Thank you" !

Ok back on the topic : I do have Amiga compatible CFCards since I bought them from AmigaKit. I bought 2 of them, one with the ide-to-cfcard bundle and one with the pcmcia-to-cfcard bundle. They are identical : 4GB SanDisk Ultra 30Mb/s.
In the mean time, I succeed in making one to work but only with FFS/07. Everytime I tried to format a SFS/00 partition, I get the error message "not a DOS disk" although the identifier is correct !
I thought I would get some reactivity out of the CFCard but in fact it is slower : boot time, OWB starting time, IBrowse ! I changed the mask and it was a little bit faster but the hardisk is definitely faster. To be honest, there is no guide telling which mask to use in this case and the options listed are not very clear (16Mo, 24bits, 128K ??).

I know the internal IDE is old and slow but I was so expecting that the SCSI of blizzardPPC would get supported as it is the case with the scsi of the cyberstormPPC (sounds pretty obvious to me) ! My AOS4.1 experience is crippled because of this, at least thats what I think. And I do believe there are more people with SCSI than people with FastATA on AOS3.9.

I still did not try he CW2 on the onboard clockport but I might try once I located it and if it is not hidden behind the BVisionPPC !
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

. .
Last edited by danbeaver on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Lio wrote:Thanks for your reply, I feel like left alone and no one (even the devs at Hyperion) seems to care about the classic version of AmigaOS4.1 (sigh !). It is like "it is released, lets forget about it and let the users find the answer by themself. We got our 100 bucks. Thank you" !

Ok back on the topic : I do have Amiga compatible CFCards since I bought them from AmigaKit. I bought 2 of them, one with the ide-to-cfcard bundle and one with the pcmcia-to-cfcard bundle. They are identical : 4GB SanDisk Ultra 30Mb/s.
In the mean time, I succeed in making one to work but only with FFS/07. Everytime I tried to format a SFS/00 partition, I get the error message "not a DOS disk" although the identifier is correct !
I thought I would get some reactivity out of the CFCard but in fact it is slower : boot time, OWB starting time, IBrowse ! I changed the mask and it was a little bit faster but the hardisk is definitely faster. To be honest, there is no guide telling which mask to use in this case and the options listed are not very clear (16Mo, 24bits, 128K ??).

I know the internal IDE is old and slow but I was so expecting that the SCSI of blizzardPPC would get supported as it is the case with the scsi of the cyberstormPPC (sounds pretty obvious to me) ! My AOS4.1 experience is crippled because of this, at least thats what I think. And I do believe there are more people with SCSI than people with FastATA on AOS3.9.

I still did not try he CW2 on the onboard clockport but I might try once I located it and if it is not hidden behind the BVisionPPC !
Hey, sorry you are having issues. As far as I know SFS does not support removeable media, so while you may get it to work (I've had SFS working on a CF card via a CF to IDE adapter), you may run into issues. It's much safer to use FFS (DOS/07). Also, not all CF's and adapters are the same. I've had lots of hair pulling trying to figure out why I can't format/prep some CF cards while others work fine, or a Hard drive works fine. I get all the way to partitioning and then it won't save the changes. Really annoying! Usually in the end I just go back to using real hard drives.

As for the other updates for Blizzard PPC SCSI, etc - Hyperion is aware of this and I can't make any promises on anything but there has been work done on Classic beyond what you have in OS 4.1 Update 6. How or if or when those updates manifest themselves into releasable updates is up to Hyperion, so even though it may seem so, the truth is there has been no abandonment, so stay tuned.

I have an A1200/Blizzard PPC tower system myself (unfortunately no SCSI on the blizzard), so I am fully aware how painfully slow the standard A1200 IDE interface is :-).

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Lio

Post by Lio »

thx both for your replies.

indeed I put SFS and FFS (from the CD) to the RDB but as said, partitionning seems fine, it is only the format step that generate a not a dos disk message for SFS. Any of you tried PFS3 ? maybe I could get some speed from it ?

I am now back to real HD and as both of you wrote, I will not get much out of the CFCARD !

About the catweasel MK2 : I connected it to the zorro4 clockport and the cable starts to burn :o so now I can not say whether it is working or not :evil: and I hope the card is not damaged ! at least my A1200 is still running without any sign of malfunction. I need to find a replacement cable now...

and thx for info about the ongoing dev on the classic version, and hope the SCSI will be supported one day as the 3D driver for permedia2, they really deserve it.

EDIT: I dont know if you checked your blog recently but I wrote a comment in the compatibility list regarding the Elbox ZorroIV ;)
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Lio wrote:thx both for your replies.

indeed I put SFS and FFS (from the CD) to the RDB but as said, partitionning seems fine, it is only the format step that generate a not a dos disk message for SFS. Any of you tried PFS3 ? maybe I could get some speed from it ?

I am now back to real HD and as both of you wrote, I will not get much out of the CFCARD !

About the catweasel MK2 : I connected it to the zorro4 clockport and the cable starts to burn :o so now I can not say whether it is working or not :evil: and I hope the card is not damaged ! at least my A1200 is still running without any sign of malfunction. I need to find a replacement cable now...

and thx for info about the ongoing dev on the classic version, and hope the SCSI will be supported one day as the 3D driver for permedia2, they really deserve it.

EDIT: I dont know if you checked your blog recently but I wrote a comment in the compatibility list regarding the Elbox ZorroIV ;)
I haven't checked my blog recently but I will. The problem is it's running on such an old crap/slow computer that it's painful to login to it :) I plan to move it to a faster computer hopefully soon.

I don't have any experience with the Catweasel so unfortunately I can't comment on that.. :-/
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

. .
Last edited by danbeaver on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lio

Post by Lio »

well I was carefull enough to put the red wire at position 1 for on both side (CW and clockport) :evil:

I can not test the FastATA 4000 because I have an A1200 and no FastATA (and no, I will not invest +100 euros in this when I have the SCSI right at the back of the BlizzardPPC !).