OS4.1 slower than WarpUp?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
ancalimon

OS4.1 slower than WarpUp?

Post by ancalimon »

Is this normal or there is something I am doing wrong?

For example, I am trying Monkey Island 3 using ScummVM (114mb fastmem used while running) but it's very slow when compared to an older version of ScummVM warpup on the same configuration.

Maybe it's because of CyberVisionPPC ? I guess it doesn't have all the features that are available when using Cybergraphx4?

Here is Monkey3 running under warpup: http://youtu.be/h7J_OZ-caDs

Here is Monkey3 running under OS4.1: http://youtu.be/fxP43A56Vzs (fullscreenmode has exactly the same speed)
Karlos
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Location: United Kingdom of England and anybody else that wishes to remain.

Re: OS4.1 slower than WarpUp?

Post by Karlos »

Are you able to run the WarpUp version of ScummVM on OS4.1 on the same box?

It could be that the 4.1 native version just isn't as optimised. It's a common nuisance caused by people developing on much faster hardware and forgetting those of us on original Amiga hardware.

That said, for WarpUp applications where context switch was a bottleneck on OS 3.x, the same code usually performs better in 4.1 as there is no cache flushing going on. I wrote a tool to benchmark calling an empty 68k function in WarpOS. I got about 600 microsec for WarpOS and iirc less than 10 for the same executable running in 4.1 on the same machine. Obviously non synthetic examples will depend on how expensive the emulated 68k code is. I observe typical 4-5x improvement for 68k code on my 240Mhz 603e versus the real 25Mhz 040 on the card. In optimal cases the code can be over 10x faster. For really pathological cases, it can be the same magnitude slower but I never saw that outside of a synthetic test.

So if you can get the WarpUp version running, it may run faster.
ancalimon

Post by ancalimon »

The warpup version is an old version of scummvm and is a bit buggy. Wasn't warpup emulation support dropped with an update to OS4.1 anyway?
ancalimon

Post by ancalimon »

The OS4 version of ScummVM has been crashing ever since I first tried it. It ran successfully only a few times