MMikhail wrote:Who's bright idea was it?!
I guess this kind of setup is unique to a point of one at most, and that's the only setup of who has done it.
Ideal config in that case: OS4 running on A1200 with VGA monitor running on AGA chipset and a video card available and not used for some reason.
and probably 2 VGA monitors or twin input VGA monitor or a monitor switch and no PAL capable monitor.
This does not make sense.
1. If you have a video card, you would expect everything on that output, and it was done like so (correctly) previously.
2. if you have a video card, you might have a flicker fixer too, and that will output normal PAL in DLSscan mode, and will not show VGA type modes.
3. most amiga owners would probably have a PAL monitor connected for AGA output anyway when they really need it, not a VGA monitor (default rom confing)
4. if the OS4 is finally configured to run from RTG, why do we get a PAL screen for error messages/requesters during boot?! So that we keep on playing switching monitors game to see what has gone wrong where?!
5. most modern software requires an RTG card anyway, so why force AGA output? It's only required as a legacy fall back mode for old software when there is no other option.
Now even if we stay on AGA, a simple SPACE key (in BootMenu) could have change between PAL / VGA modes, this was done before,
and worked for everyone without needing to change some config file just for a quick change (config is good for permanent/preferred setting)
PS: Disabling some items from the kickstart I can now get in to boot menu on AGA output (not very friendly solution, but still, it works) but doing boot with no startup or booting with mid mouse button still fails, I can see black screen only.
And yes, I always see a logo on the video card output, what's the point of showing me a logo there if the card is not used?! The drivers are clearly loaded for it, so why not use it?
Maybe it would have been even better to clone the output to both displays AGA & RTG (it is done like so on the classic 68k system) Thus satisfying everyone at once.
Please give us an option to configure this behaviour, the current situation is absolutely unsatisfactory and inconvenient. And it's a disappointing downgrade from the previous implementation.
I don't disagree with you. My understanding is that functionality will be restored to the same behaviour as AmigaOS 4.1 Classic - that is - the early startup will display on RTG. I think this was a side effect of all of the work that was done (and trust me, it was alot) to remove Picasso96 libraries and integrate the functionality into graphics.library. It is/was not a trivial task. So as the FAQ states the current behaviour may change in a future update.